Thread: Mustek 1200 UB Vista Driver

Mustek 1200 UB Vista Driver

I am having a Dell desktop running with Windows Vista since past 2 months. Earlier I was using Windows XP with which my Mustek 1200 UB scanner was working fine without any problem. I use this scanner very rarely, about 8 to 10 times in a month. Since I installed Vista 2 months ago, I have tried many things but Mustek 1200 doesn’t seems to be working. I strongly doubt the drivers. Can anyone please let me know where can I get the drivers for this scanner ?

Thank you.

Re: Mustek 1200 UB Vista Driver

I was facing the same problem but after doing lots of research I finally managed to fix it. You need to do some tweaking in the XP drivers itself to make it with Windows Vista. If you need to do, below are the steps but this requires tweaking many stuffs in your system that can damage the system as wlel I fyou made any mistake. Here is what I did:

• First of all you need to download the latest XP drivers from here http://www.mustek.com.tw/Download/dr...sh/1200ub.html
    • Download the one file installation using the SN of your scanner (it is on the scanner).
    • Now don’t start the installation directly because you wont be able to do that unless it is tweaked for the same.
    • Below is the procedure for the same:
    • Just start the scanner but don’t plug it with the system.
    • Go to systemroot\windows\temp folder and empty this folder
    • Now start the installation, go ahead and just top when it asks "Select Language".
    • Here you need to copy all contents (files and folders) of Windows\Temp to another folder (e.g. systemroot\1)
    • Now plug in the scanner and wait for few minutes letting windows find the drivers and let it install Mustek Twain drivers.

That was a great tutorial Myra, thanks for sharing the same. But there is also an alternate way that I use to make it work in my case. Would like to share hoping it may help someone else. But note that in this procedure you will need to modify few registry. Only attempt if you have knowledge of going the same:

1. Click the Start icon, then type regedit [enter]
    2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    3. Note the values for CurrentVersion and ProductName. You can right click the CurrentVersion folder icon and click Export to make a backup.
    4. Change CurrentVersion to 5.1
    5. Change ProductName to Microsoft Windows XP
    6. Run the web.exe installation program - ensure you run as administrator!
    7. After completion change currentversion and productname back to original. This can be done by double clicking the .reg file you exported in step 3.

Thanks a lot for sharing this useful tutorial guys, really appreciated but am facing a problem with the same. Though am logged with an Administrator account, when i try running the web.exe installation program in Step 6, installation is just not able to pass the language selection. Every time it comes up with an error saying

"Could not execute the external program
    C:\PROGRA~1\TEMP\ADMIN.EXE"

Please help.

Sounds compatibility problem. Just do one thing, right click the downloaded exe file, click properties, go to the compatibility tab. And Select "run program in compatibility mode for" and in the options select Windows XP. Now try running the installation again. It should work.