Thread: How to force a bigger screen resolution?

How to force a bigger screen resolution?

I am having a HP Pavilion Slimline s3700y running with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. As my titles suggests, my highest resolution as of now is 1360x768 but I want to make it larger. FYI, I am using a Sony Bravia 32" LCD and nVidia Geforce 6150 se graphic card with all latest drivers.

I know that getting higher resolution (1920x1080) would be possible with this configuration. Can you guys tell me how can I get the same ?

Re: How to force a bigger screen resolution?

I don’t have any idea personally about this but what I got on one of the nVidia page is that you need to connect your Bravia monitor using DVI-D. Are you connecting your monitor with the same ?

You should checkout the latest nVidia driver’s release notes. See what resolution they support as standard modes over the VGA interface. As far as I know they might be supporting upto 1080p by default over DVi hence you wont be needing to create a custom resolution.

You said you ihave all latest drivers for the graphic card but did you installed the LCD monitor’s drivers ? If not, do it now. Hopefully this will solve your problem.

You can download the same from here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel....pl?PRODTYPE=2 . Just enter your make and model number and download.

Thanks for your suggestion Gonzo but I don’t think it is required because monitors don’t have drivers as they get the drivers from connected graphic cards. From last many years the OSs and monitors used .inf files to describe their base specs. Also they use a technology called EDID that tells your graphic card what resolution they can accept over the interface currently in use to the graphic card.