Thread: VISTA CD/DVD ROM AUTOPLAY NOT WORKING

Vista Cd/dvd Rom Autoplay Not Working

I have got an issue with the cd/dvd rom that I have in my machine, its autorun function is not working when I insert any cd/dvd. I have Vista installed on my machine and previously it was working fine. All that happens is that, it is just spinning the cd/dvd when i insert it in the dvd drive. Also when I try to open any game dvd from my computer, it just hangs for a bit of seconds and then opens up when i click to browse the dvd. Is this dvd rom failing by any chance?

Re: VISTA CD/DVD ROM AUTOPLAY NOT WORKING

Hello! I recently had this AUTOPLAY problem and found the following solution if all of a sudden your CD's and DVD's will not play automatically when inserted in the appropriate drive. Don't ask me why, it just worked great for me. This does involve a minor "tweak" in the REGISTRY, so you've been cautioned. If you're not comfortable with this procedure, find someone who is because it certainly solved my problem and BOTH my CD & DVD drives are now working "as advertised" in AUTOPLAY mode & Windows Media Player (my personal selection) automatically comes up to play the inserted disc.
    1. Select "START" and "RUN" then type in REGEDIT.
    Then,
    Go to the registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
    Version\Policies\Explorer
    The issue is actually the presence of the
    NoDriveTypeAutoRun here, not the value.
    To fix, rename the key to something else (like
    XNoDriveTypeAutoRun) and reboot.
    That's it !!

Re: VISTA CD/DVD ROM AUTOPLAY NOT WORKING

There is a simple fix to it, usually this kind of problem happens when some of the registry entries are messed up, so to solve this issue all you have to do is open up registry editor by typing "regedit" in the run command and then locate this registry path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET002 or CONTROLSET003\SERVICES\cdrom\ and check for the auto play value, whether it is registered as 0, if it is so then change this value to 1 and exit the registry editor and then simplay restart the pc. Upon restart, you will now be able to see that the Autoplay function will start to work properly, when ever you insert any dvd or cd in the dvd drive. Hope that helps you out.