Thread: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17A ATA not reading anything, where do i start to look to fix this?

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17A ATA not reading anything, where do i start to look to fix this?

I have Windows Vista installed on my laptop and its dvd drive is not able to recognize any cd or dvd when inserted? When I insert cd into it, then it will try to read something which can be seen on the screen with the progress bar but then immediately after that it will then ask you to insert a disk inside again. I have got myself this PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K17A ATA Device. Does anyone have any clue how to fix this problem?

Can you try to run a CD/DVD lens cleaner disk inside the dvd drive? It will hardly cost you few dollars and you should be able to get it at many stores that sell blank media cd/dvds. If this solution doesnt work then it might be that the drive itself would be bad and therefore you can return it and get a new drive, if it is under warranty. Call your manufacturer and ask for a claim.

Try the below solution and see if it works for you:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Sound.
    2. On the Playback tab, right-click in the blank area under Select a playback device below to modify its settings, and then select Show Disabled Devices.
    3. Right-click an audio device, and then click Enable.

More information can be found here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939052/en-us