Thread: Disk read error...

Disk read error...

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with me and recently I have started getting the disk read error. But, I have already put a new hard drive in this laptop which is also giving me the same error, so I dont think that there is any problem with the old and new hard drive at all. In Bios I am able to see the old hard drive which is getting listed, but when I boot from their then it goes to a screen where I get a message that says windows didn't boot correctly and I can launch the repair tool or start windows normally. So, after I try the repair option I get another I/O error. And if I select to start windows normally, then I will be stucked on a black screen forever. I also tried to install Windows XP on the other drive that I have connected inside the laptop, but when I tried to boot with an XP cd to see if i could format the same drive then windows said that there were no disks present? This drive is also listed in the BIOS and is working fine on another laptop. So what other things can i do to solve this problem? Thanks for any help.

You should first start to use the repair install of Windows Vista from the original Vista disk or the repair disk supplied from the manufacturer. To do the same follow the below steps:
    • First of all try to boot into the System Recovery Options screen.
    • After that you have to click on the Startup Repair option.
    • Now the Startup Repair tool will attempt to fix your computer and get it booting up again.

You can also try to check if there are any updated BIOS for your motherboard that you can download and install, so that the both disk get recognized in the computer. Furthermore, if you are trying to install Windows XP and the hard drive is SATA then you will need to use the F6 option before the installation begins, so that you can install the Sata raid drivers from the floppy.