Thread: Dragon Age Inquisition crashes to desktop due to DirectX error

Dragon Age Inquisition crashes to desktop due to DirectX error

I have installed Dragon Age Inquisition on my pc and it is running fine but giving me some kind of trouble every now and then. I am running Windows 7 64bit on my computer and have the latest DirectX 11 version already installed. I have noticed that sometimes when a particular cutscene occurs then the game crashes to desktop. This has happened a couple of time now. The error message from DirectX states the following - "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is a design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed."). Is there any fix for this? Thanks

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition crashes to desktop due to DirectX error

I have read from somewhere that the Dice's Frostbite engine seems to have some kind of little instabilities in graphics card and also when it gets overhearted mildly. If you have overclocked your video card or even if it is factory overclocked then you must try to downclock your GPU or else you will have to reduce the number of pixels with a lowered screen resolution. This was the same case with Crysis 3 and Geforce graphics card seems to be most affected.

You can try to use some method suggested to fix similar problem with Battlefield 4 and check if that works or not. First of all try to install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package and DirectX Redistributable as well. After that go to the main game Dragon Age Inquisition folder and then go to this folder location - Installer\directx\redist and run DXSETUP.exe as Administrator. Also go and run from this directory - Installer\vc\vc2012Update3\redist and run vcredist_x64 OR/AND vcredist_x86 as Administrator.

Even I was trying to play this game on the lowest graphics settings possible but to no avail, the crashes still happens every now and then. But there is only one thing that is letting the game to work fine and that is to play it in Windowed borderless mode. This mode is still not the best way to play this game but for the time being it is a good workaround. I am hoping that Bioware releases a patch to fix this crash to desktop problem quickly.