Thread: Dark Souls II crashes at startup, help

Dark Souls II crashes at startup, help

I have installed the latest Dark Souls II game from Steam in my computer but after launching it, it will always give me a white color window and will hang there and after some seconds it will give me an error message that says "Dark Souls 2 has stopped responding". I have tried already redownloading and reinstalling the game, have the latest graphics drivers installed but still it will not work. All other games are working fine? Any ideas how to solve this issue? Thanks

Re: Dark Souls II crashes at startup, help

If you are having an AMD graphics card then go to its Control Center and then under Properties, ebable the GPU scaling and then apply this changes and start the game. If still this doesnt work then try to choose Dark Souls 2 in Steam and then disconnect your HDMI/DVI cable. After that press Enter key to start the game and then plug the hdmi or dvi cable again. You will noticed that the game is locked to Windowed mode. So, try to set the resolution and fullscreen mode in the game's option menu and then restart the game using the same method.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

I had the same problem with this game and it used to crash no matter how many times I tried to start it. But later on I figured out how to tackle this issue. First of all, I enabled the hidden files and folders so that I can go and see the content in the games directory in this location - C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\DarkSoulsII. After that I found a file called GraphicsConfig.xml and deleted it. Now whenever I start the game, it will launch properly without any issues. So try this method as well.

I was also not able to run this game on the multi-monitor setup that I was using on my Windows 7 machine. One of the monitor was 144hz and the other was 60hz only. The game always used to crash when I was trying to launch it on the 144hz screen which was connected via a dual link dvi port. When I changed the main display to the other monitor in the control panel then the game started just fine. It looks the game functions to very particular display port.