Thread: Game Controller vs keyboard for fps gaming

Game Controller vs keyboard for fps gaming

Which is the best between a game controller and gaming keyboard. I want the best one for fps gaming. I am having a gaming keyboard which is quiet old and is getting slow. Some of the keys are also damage. Now I have a good budget to buy new one. But this time I am just waiting back what to choose. Did a game controller will give me maximum gaming benefits over a keyboard. I play fps games mostly.

Re: Game Controller vs keyboard for fps gaming

According to me Game Controllers are best for racing game. Because in those game you don't have much controls. You just have to take care about left/right and steering. That can be managed in few buttons. But when it comes to fps games we need additional things. We need a button that can help us to change the weapon, see maps, etc. In keyboard we have ample of choices to choose and configure. But things are much limited in game controllers.

There is a huge debate on this topic. Game controllers are ideal for consoles. And if you have a pc then stick with your gaming keyboard. Buy better one. Keyboard surely give you more choice but it also makes you slow while playing games. You must be a bit expert in operating all of them. I am using a keyboard and I think it is very comfortable. I had tried playing some games on a gamepad but it is not working properly.

For any shooting game mouse keyboard is the best one. But for other games like racing, or side scrolling controllers are easy. I have both of them. I had bought a new controller recently. I use the keyboard when there are shooting gaming stuff. I had tried configuring the keys for shooting also, but sometime the buttons on it limit the output. Keep both of them. Buy a cheap model, and use it when needed.

There are some customize keyboard and mouse available which are designed for gaming purpose only. Like Razer Orbweaver. They are costly but amazing for playing games. It has limited set of buttons through which you can control the player and you can also use the mouse. Just checkout Razer Orbweaver on youtube. I am going to get this one. It is ideal for those who finds keyboard easy to use.

My friend has Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard. This is one of the best gaming keyboard. There is a huge difference between gaming and regular keyboard. Regular keyboards does not has a good responsive keys, while gaming one are amazing. Most of them are mechanical. I prefer to stick with gaming keyboard because they are fast. They have additional keys to configure and a set of programmable keys also.

Controllers are specifically designed for consoles. There is a bit difference between a game designed for pc and one for console. If you had played games on a xbox or ps3 before you can see that you have minimum things to control. Most of the time you just have to press one key to hit or run. But when it comes to pc you have more controls. You can control the characters, weapons and use extra devices. The choice here depend on your game platform.

If its FPS it has to keyboard. The trend that started from Counter Strike is still going strong and I yse controller only for FIFA and racing games.

On pc nothing is better than keyboard/mouse. I had played a huge amount of games on consoles. I shifted to a pc recently. I found a big difference between both. In controllers you cannot try some extra things. Most of this are programmed. But in pc you can go ahead with trying extra combat skills. Due to more control over the game environment. You can map the key as per your need so that it is easy for you to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakradevroy View Post
    On pc nothing is better than keyboard/mouse. I had played a huge amount of games on consoles. I shifted to a pc recently. I found a big difference between both. In controllers you cannot try some extra things. Most of this are programmed. But in pc you can go ahead with trying extra combat skills. Due to more control over the game environment. You can map the key as per your need so that it is easy for you to remember.
    This is 100% incorrect, you're saying you went from a console to a PC which is not the same thing as using a controller on the PC then switching to KB and mouse on the same PC.

The is nothing in a game that works better on KB and Mouse over a controller. It all depends on how used to something one is.

And for the record 137 key binds can be mapped to a controller.

I prefer the mouse and keyboard for shooters, for other games, controller is much more comfortable.

As for which mouse and keyboard, for MMORPGs there are some nice keyboards with some special extras but for FPS I think a regular keyboard will be fine. Mouse wise there are some specific gaming ones available along with mousepads optimized for gaming mouses so look into that too.