Thread: Cs 1.6 Win 8.1 BEX error

sad Cs 1.6 Win 8.1 BEX error

I'm trying to get Counter Strike 1.6 to work on Win 8.1 64bit

I always get Half-Life launcher has stopped working and gets a BEX error.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: hl.exe
    Application Version: 1.1.1.1
    Application Timestamp: 48feaf5a
    Fault Module Name: steamclient.dll
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4aa7bb95
    Exception Offset: 000268d3
    Exception Code: c0000417
    Exception Data: 00000000
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.4
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 2a2f
    Additional Information 2: 2a2f94d122e8414803e51562d7fb27ea
    Additional Information 3: ff55
    Additional Information 4: ff55ca3d9683da969de9e3aaf3d71d95
    I've already tried running it as administrator and compatibility mode for WinXP SP3. Also I tried disabling DEP completely by running bcdedit /set {current} nx AlwaysOff in cmd as administrator.

Even that didn't work. Strangely the game starts occasionally like once in 25 times I try to launch at random times especially just after system restart, but closing that and restarting again I get the same error

Can anyone please help me?

Re: Cs 1.6 Win 8.1 BEX error

Can you try to get the latest version of the Windows Update Agent from the below link and see if that works for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Thank you very much for responding to me. I'll try it and get back as soon as possible

The version number of Windows Update Agent on my system is 7.9.9600.16384

Is that the latest version? I didn't get any download link to download the latest version.

Will this help me solve my problem?

Here's something strange. As soon as I restart and when the desktop icons start to appear, I click the CS 1.6 icon as soon as possible and the game starts. But later on after closing I won't ever be able to start again. So do you think that some windows services (that loads later) is interfering with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jackuars View Post
    Here's something strange. As soon as I restart and when the desktop icons start to appear, I click the CS 1.6 icon as soon as possible and the game starts. But later on after closing I won't ever be able to start again. So do you think that some windows services (that loads later) is interfering with the game.
    The error that you are getting is because of old graphics driver and directx version that is installed in your computer. You just need to update both things and then you will not get any error messages.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja-x View Post
    The error that you are getting is because of old graphics driver and directx version that is installed in your computer. You just need to update both things and then you will not get any error messages.
    My Intel HD Graphics 2000 drivers are upto date and I've re-installed DirectX9 but to no avail. .. Any other suggestions?

Run Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del. And in that go in Processes. See that czero.exe is running or not. If it is then the game is running in the background and it is not able to launch completely. This kind of issue usually occur in Windows 7. I am playing the same game on Windows XP which work fine. But after upgrading to Windows 7, this kind of problem appeared. It looks the game is not compatible with new OS.

Quote Originally Posted by MACALL View Post
    Run Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del. And in that go in Processes. See that czero.exe is running or not. If it is then the game is running in the background and it is not able to launch completely. This kind of issue usually occur in Windows 7. I am playing the same game on Windows XP which work fine. But after upgrading to Windows 7, this kind of problem appeared. It looks the game is not compatible with new OS.
    Actually it's hl.exe that runs when you launch CS 1.6 . But anyway there are no other instances of the game in processes.

Actually it's hl.exe that runs when you launch CS 1.6 . But anyway there are no other instances of the game in processes.
    Try installing the old drivers and then run the game in windows xp compatability mode. Or else, go to My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings. Under "Advanced" from the top of the first option (in the "Performance"), "Settings" button. Then go to the "Data Execution Prevention", select the bottom and add the file .exe Counter Strike exception.

Quote Originally Posted by solomon View Post
    Try installing the old drivers and then run the game in windows xp compatability mode. Or else, go to My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings. Under "Advanced" from the top of the first option (in the "Performance"), "Settings" button. Then go to the "Data Execution Prevention", select the bottom and add the file .exe Counter Strike exception.
    Like I already mentioned in the first post, I've completely disabled DEP, after trying to include exception to .exe file and both didn't work.

I'll try to see if installing old drivers will work.

Here's something:

I can play Half-Life (the game) with no problems, but I've another installation of Counter-Strike which gives me Half-Life launcher has stopped working. They are 2 different installations mind you.

Is the parameters making a difference while starting Counter Strike. The CS shortcut on desktop is set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Counter-Strike 1.6 LH 2013\hl.exe" -game cstrike -noforcemparms -noforcemspd -noforcemaccel -steam -d3d -32bpp

It's the LH (LongHorn) edition. I've tried with normal editions but that didn't work too.

Can you try to uninstall and then reinstall the game probably? Try by installing any one version of Counter Strike and see if it is working in your system or not. If still no joy then you can try to install Windows XP or Windows 7 in virtual box and then play the game in it.