Thread: black screen while playing The Stanley Parable

black screen while playing The Stanley Parable

After purchasing The Stanley Parable game I installed it on my pc. Then I launched the game and went to the main menu and clicked to start the game so that I can play it. The game loaded fine and it showed the introductory cutscene but soon after that when I am supposed to start playing then I am just getting a black screen with the sound in the background working fine? Any ideas how to solve this?

Re: black screen while playing The Stanley Parable

Can you try to change the video options in the game and see if that works. Also try to play the game at the medium or lowest settings and see if that makes any difference. It seems that the game seems to be running properly but only the screen gets black during gameplay. Try to press "esc" in the game and see if the menu shows properly.

There was a solution given to this behaviour of the game. To fix this problem you need to go to your Steam Library and then right click on The Stanley Parable game and then go to its Properties. After that click on "Set launch options" and then write Launch it to get a console. Now start a new game and then press ESC and then write mat_postprocess_enable 0 and press enter. Hopefully the game wont black screen now.

There was also another solution given to solve the black screen problem while playing The Stanley Parable game. All you need to do is just launch the game with a "-windowed" mode as a launch parameter. What I meant was go right click on the game.exe file and then at the end type "-windowed" (without the quotes) and click apply and ok, thats it. Now try to launch the game and it will run properly.