Thread: Without a controller Dark Souls is unplayable, don’t purchase it

Without a controller Dark Souls is unplayable, don’t purchase it

I had watched the trailer of Dark Souls few weeks back and I was excited about playing this game. I was happy that developers will be releasing this game for PC and thus I brought it yesterday. I installed the game and started playing it. After I created my character and all, I couldn’t find any way to start the game. I mean, the mouse doesn’t work in the menus. With keyboard, I reached the start button but couldn’t press it. I restarted my PC and tried again; I re-installed the Dark Souls and tried again. But the game would be stuck in the same menu. Can someone tell if there is any bug or is something wrong with this game?

Re: Without a controller Dark Souls is unplayable, don’t purchase it

This problem is caused in Dark Souls because of the bad porting done by the developers. The game works great in Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 without any of these problems. But in PC, there is a huge problem with the key bindings that is given to the game on PC. I don’t know which part you are exactly stuck on, but as you have mentioned character creation, did you complete every option and task in this part. I mean, putting a name designing the character, give it abilities and some other features. I don’t think that game should be stuck on this part.

Dark Souls is literally unplayable with keyboard and mouse. Even if you get past the menus and the character development part, you will soon realize that keys are arranged such that they will give you a hard time while playing. I too started the game with keyboard and mouse and later realized the problem. I brought my girlfriend’s Xbox 360 controller for PC and played this game using it. I’d say that this game is perfect when playing through controller. I too suggest you that you should get the Xbox 360 gamepad if you want to play Dark Souls comfortably without any problems.

From my experience about Dark Souls, I have tried both Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 controllers on this game. I’d say that instead of Xbox 360 gamepad, you should go for the Playstation 3 gamepad. It provides better control over the game. The4 controlling system and the key mapping for Dark Souls in Playstation 3 are done such that you will get all the important buttons perfectly under your fingers. Also the options and the features that are occasionally used in Dark Souls are placed in such manner in Playstation 3 that buttons for them won’t interfere with other necessary buttons.

I think developers should bring out a patch where the PC controls for the game would be corrected and they would match proper key bindings which is necessary for the 3rd person hack and slash games. The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 controllers are expensive in India where I live and purchasing these gamepads is impossible for me. Developers never notified about this problem before the release or else I wouldn’t have purchased this game. Now I am stuck with this game which I can’t play, neither I can give it away to anybody else. I hope a patch is brought out soon so that we PC gamers who don’t have controllers can enjoy Dark Souls too.

Dark Souls has one of the worst porting done from console to PC that I have ever encountered. I mean, even after having the Playstation 3 controller for PC attached to my computer, I have to use mouse to rotate the in-game camera. This becomes problematic when I am in a heavy fight scene and I need to rotate the camera to find the exit route or a safe place from where I can take on the enemies. Once I went on pressing the attack button randomly while rotating the camera. I failed in this way. So now I have to call my sister every time such scene appears, so that she helps me in camera movements while I fight.