Thread: Checkpoints in Max Payne 3 is annoying

Checkpoints in Max Payne 3 is annoying

I have been playing Max Payne 3 for five days now and I have completed the single player campaign of this game. The game was nice because of its graphics, gameplay and sounds. I liked the game except for one thing about it; the checkpoint system used in it to saves one’s progress. I think that Max Payne 3 too should have manual saving method where some slots would be given to the user to create their saves, it would be of great use as one could go back in the game whenever one wanted and play as per the further missions needed. I know what I have written must seem complicated to you, but let me give you an example of FarCry 2. If you had played FarCry 2, there was a mission where we needed to blast a propane tank. The first time I played that mission, I thought that I would get some explosive like remote bomb or rocket launcher to blast it. But after reaching the spot and clearing it of enemies, I fund that there was no explosive around, I needed to go back and bring it. Also I found a sniping point in that area that I could use to clear enemies quickly. So I loaded the part where I had saved before starting the mission, got sniper and remote bomb from storage room and cleared the mission more efficiently than before. Since Max Payne 3 was properly planned by developers, no such situation occurred. But I still think that manual saves should have been provided by the developers. What do other people who played Max Payne 3 think about it?

Re: Checkpoints in Max Payne 3 is annoying

I agree that checkpoint system in Max Payne 3 was a bad idea. But since the game was to be made for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, I think that developers thought of implementing the checkpoint system. It is difficult to have manual saving system. Even most of the games these days have fixed saving points whether they are in checkpoint format or one needs to save game in a safe house of a specific place, like Grand Theft Auto series. I think that having checkpoint system in Max Payne 3 is not a bad idea, but I think that they should have given option of manual save like in old games at least in the PC version. The first problem is that the checkpoints in Max Payne 3 are unevenly distributed. I felt that some checkpoints would come quickly while some were far away. In other words, sometimes, there would be a just a small fight between two checkpoints while some checkpoints would have four to five large fights which would take around fifteen minutes to complete. I think this uneven distribution of checkpoint is irritating and make Max Payne 3 undesirable.

Checkpoints saving system in Max Payne 3 is bad for me as I am a married guy. Just everyday it happens, I am playing Max Payne 3 and I am in middle of a fight with enemies shooting at me from everywhere. Suddenly my wife calls me to lend her a helping hand in some daily chore and I say to her that I’ll be there in five minutes. I say five minutes thinking that at end of this fight, a checkpoint will save my game. But it doesn’t happen and I am forced to quit the game. Next time when I play the game I again need to fight all the fights and kill all the enemies after which I realize that there were more fights remaining. If manual saving system was provided, I would have immediately saved the game after finishing the current site so that next time I would have played from the same part. This checkpoint system helps only because Max Payne 3 is a game set in a linear pattern and one doesn’t need to get objects that will be found in one part and its application in other part.

I too think that manual saving system would have been more helpful as Max Payne 3 is filled with numerous lengthy cut scenes. The most irritating moment is when Max Payne dies between fights. It is not because, I died or lost, it is because the game will begin again from the last checkpoint. I need to watch all the cut scenes once again and fight all the fights again. If manual saving was provided, I would have saved after every cut scene. To add more frustration to this, the cut scenes cannot be saved. As said by one of the user, checkpoints are unevenly distributed; it becomes troublesome when distance between two checkpoints is at long distances. Suppose it happens that distance between two checkpoints is around four large fights and five cut scenes. I would watch four cut scenes and eliminate all enemies three fights. After this I enter the fourth and the last fight before the checkpoint and die, so now I have to watch all the four cut scenes, pass through all the three fights before I complete this fight. Now if I would have needed half an hour to complete two checkpoints, I would rather take one hour or more. This is why I hate the checkpoint system in Max Payne 3.