Thread: 12 player derby races should be there in DiRT Showdown

12 player derby races should be there in DiRT Showdown

I played the demo version of Dirt Showdown and it seems that Codemasters have taken Dirt series from usual rally races to derby races filled with destruction. It is a good change and will also get in some action game fans to play. I found Dirt Showdown very exciting and will proceed to buy its full version when it releases. But one thing I felt disappointed about Dirt Showdown is that why does it have only eight layers maximum in any type of race. I have played many games that have derby races like Grid or Flatout; every of these games had ten to twelve racers in one event. I think that Codemasters must know that when it comes to destruction, more the number of cars, more fun it will give to the player. In Grid, there were four crashers whose only objective was to take down the leader in the race. I hope that full version of DiRT Showdown has these features. What do other fans of derby racing think about DiRT Showdown?

Re: 12 player derby races should be there in DiRT Showdown

Yes, a game which has destruction as its main aim should have more cars in it to break. Also from the map in the demo version of DiRT Showdown, the tracks seem to be very wide in size. With less number of racers and wide tracks, then there will be less chances of creating crashes and pile ups. Also the track in the demo version was a simple one. I think that tracks in the full version should have crossings that will lead to T-Bone crashes among the racers. In derby races of Grid, these crossing lanes would serve a great purpose of crashing into your opponent. I don’t know what types of races will be available in DiRT Showdown, but from the trailer, it is seen that normal races and crash derby will available. I hope that the other race types available in this game would be interesting. Another bad part about DiRT Showdown is that the destroyed car will disappear in few seconds. I think that this shouldn’t happen. The debris of the destroyed car can be used for advantage. One can push opponents towards the debris to damage him/her.

I think that there should be an race event like Marked Man in Burnout Paradise in DiRT Showdown. In this race, the car which we would be driving will be the marked car that the other racers will be chasing. We have to survive them as long as possible. This would be fun to play online as many of the players will be chasing while one can run away from them, the first person to destroy will be the winner. I know this type of race needs a good amount of team work, but it is great fun. Also in the trailer of DiRT Showdown I didn’t see a single shot of races being played at night time. Night time adds a different feel to the racing games as many times, some darker colored cars get easily hidden in some shadowed area. Also there will be three types of cars in DiRT Showdown, which are Racing Cars, Demolition cars and Hoonigan cars. The bad news is that cars from Hoonigan category will be the cars that will have licensed models. Also the nitros won’t regenerate automatically as the previous games. In order to increase the nitros, the player would need to do some awesome action. I don’t know what it will be but maybe small jumps, small dashes to the opponent or maybe drifting will fill the nitros.

I am really excited about the Dirty Moves race type that will be made available in DiRT Showdown. In this race two racers will be driving the Hoonigan class car. It will have one racer performing some cool moves like drifting or performing 360 degree drift or drifting car in close spaces. The other racer will have to perform the same moves; the more accurate performance will get more points. The best part of this race will be that they will be on same location and they also have to avoid crashing into each other. I don’t know much details, it is also said that the Gymkhana races from DiRT 3 will also be included in DiRT Showdown. There will also be Sum wrestling of cars, which is race event by name ‘King of the Hill’. The two cars will be standing on a high raised arena. One will have to push the other one down to win the event. The best part is that we will get to play ‘Elimination’ races in DiRT Showdown where the player in last position after every lap will be eliminated. This ‘Elimination’ race reminds me old Need for Speed games.

I think that Codemasters must know that when it comes to destruction, more the number of cars, more fun it will give to the player
    I too know that games that have destruction of cars should have more vehicles. But if you see the graphics and its detailing in DiRT 3, then it was of very high quality and also very heavy. The other objects that added to this detailing was the foliage along the race track, the particles used to show the dust and other details like people and buildings. It is obvious that DiRT Showdown will have more high level of detailing and heavier graphics as compared to the previous game. The only way to get full details will be by having a high end graphic card and powerful peripherals. Not every person purchasing this game will have such a high end configuration in their computers. Thus, the developers have optimized the graphics of DiRT Showdown to make it available to play for more people. Thus you won’t see more than eight cars. Twelve cars and their related effects and animations will make the system heavy and thus will become a failure instead of development.
    The debris of the destroyed car can be used for advantage. One can push opponents towards the debris to damage him/her.
    To show the debris, the developers will need to keep each and every broken part of the car on the ground. This will add more objects to the scene and thus will increase details. Maybe some computers won’t be able to handle such heavily detailed scene. Also to show the car being broken, the developers will need to add more polygons to the model to achieve the bends and to match it, more detailed textures will be needed. This all will add to load on graphic card and other peripherals which render the graphics. Just imagine, how much load such high level of detailing will add when the scene will need to show seven broken cars and their debris that too in real time. Thus the developers have shown the cars disappearing in DiRT Showdown instead of forming debris. Maybe the developers might consider this option in future when high systems will be easily available.