Thread: Item Rarity in Mass Effect 3

Item Rarity in Mass Effect 3

I have been playing Mass Effect series since the day first part of it released. I have loved the gameplay of this game and especially the Sci-fi effect that it provides. I loved the futuristic weapons it has and the futuristic fighting it provides. In the latest installment, that is, Mass Effect 3, I have found that the developers have changed the weapon pattern and amount of weapons and their quantity in this game. Also I have found some difference in which way the weapons can be handled by the in game character. I still couldn’t understand the pattern or the way the weapon and their inventory is changed. Can someone explain me the weapon handling and the rarity of the weapons in the game world?

Re: Item Rarity in Mass Effect 3

In Mass Effect 3, you can use any weapon while playing as any character from any class. Every class has its own weight restrictions and limitations due to which you will find that some character of a specific class won’t be handle some heavy weapon efficiently as character from other classes. Also due to this function, every class will need to use different combinations of weapons to maintain the weight of weapons and not overloading the character. To add to this, every weapon has different weight; even weapons in same class have different weights. Adding accessories or modification parts to the weapons will add to the weight. Due to this many times you will have to dump some weapon to modify other weapons and manage weight of them. The more weight you add to the character, more recharge time your character will need. One can carry weapon from every class at a time, but if you go on adding every weapon in your inventory, it will add weight resulting in reduction of recharge time. Also if all weapons are carried, less weight will be available to add modification parts. I found that Soldier is one character that can easily carry many weapons around at a time without losing recharge time. But he has low health and also some other capabilities are lower than characters from other class. The weapon modification parts are available in form of barrels, scopes and other materials. These parts can change performance in the fighting techniques and the looks of the weapons. Unlike previous games, where you needed to find multiple copies of same part to provide them to your team mates to use, Mass Effect 3 has removed that function. Once you acquire any weapon or any modification part, every team mate of yours will also have it available if using weapon of same class. The grenades and their use have been greatly improvised in Mass Effect 3 as compared to its previous installments. In previous games, one needed to replenish the grenades in the weapon cache. But in Mass Effect 3, grenades won’t need to be replenished; they automatically get replenished in the weapon cache. Also various new types of grenades are available in this game. Developers have experimented with the attacking format, detonation timing and looks of the grenades. Some might explode after some time after being thrown. Some might explode as soon as they come in contact with the target. Also these grenades differ in shape, size and color. My personal favorite is Cluster Grenade; it splits into four grenades when thrown and gives damage equivalent to four grenades.

The game has five types of items if they are categorized according to the pattern in which they are found. Common items are denoted by blue color. These items can be found easily in the game. They are also carried around by many enemies. The common items too are of two different kinds, consumable and the ones that can be stored. The consumable items mostly consist of health packs and ammo. They can be used when needed and then it won’t be available again. The items that can be stored are mostly weapons and their modification parts. You can store them and use them whenever you want or you can also drop them if not needed. You will also find some uncommon items in this game; they are denoted by Silver color. They are less in number, but can be found with enemies many times. Also they are the weapons usually carried around by the in-game characters. The game also features many rare items. They won’t be easily found. Usually they are found after defeating some boss or in some place which is difficult to find. Many times you will them in such places that you won’t notice easily. They can be also acquired as a reward for completing missions and tasks. Keep looking for them as they are difficult to find, but very effective when used. There are also Ultra rare weapons you can find in this game, usually denoted by black color. They are most difficult to find. If you want to find these weapons I suggest that you play this game, more than once. Many weapons of the rare and ultra 5rare category are also part of dlc for this game. Thus, to find them you will need t download them.

Some of the consumable blue items are,
    • Cobra Missile Launcher
    • Thermal Clip Pack
    • Ops Survival
    • PackMedi-Gel
    • Ammo Bonus Items
    • Weapon Bonus Items
    • Armor Bonus Items

These items cannot be stored in inventory, they once used will be reduced in number and will provide the specified effect. Ammo Bonus Items, Weapon Bonus Items and Armor Bonus Items are items that can be found of different levels in different weapon packs. In recruit pack, it will be level one, level two in veteran pack and of level 3 in spectre weapon pack. Cobra Missile Launcher, Thermal Clip Pack, Ops Survival and PackMedi-Gel will have different amount of items in different packs. Usually they all are found three in veteran pack and five in spectre pack.

List of items that are commonly found in the game and can stored or dropped according to the users need are,
    1) M-3 Predator, Heavy Pistol: It is manufactured by Elanus Risk Control Services, it has base damage of 37.2, default ammo in it is 12/60 and it is a default weapon while starting a game many times.
    2) M-23 Katana, Shotgun: It is manufactured by Ariake Technologies, it has base damage of 50, default ammo in it is 5/15, it has a semi-automatic firing mode and it is found in Priority: Mars mission.
    3) M-4 Shuriken: It is manufactured by Elkoss Combine, it has base damage of 12, default ammo in it is 36 / 324, it has a Six-round burst firing mode and it is found in Priority: Mars mission.
    4) M-92 Mantis, Sniper Rifle: It is manufactured by Devlon Industries, it has base damage of 263.1, default ammo in it is 1 / 9 and it is a default weapon while starting a game many times.
    5) M-8 Avenger, Assault Rifle: It is manufactured by Elkoss Combine, it has base damage of 10.8, default ammo in it is 40 / 400 and it is a default weapon while starting a game many times.
    You can also find many weapon modification parts commonly in this game. Some of them that you can find are,
    1) SMG Scope
    2) SMG Magazine Upgrade
    3) SMG Heatsink
    4) Pistol Scope
    5) Pistol Magazine Upgrade
    6) Pistol High-Caliber Barrel
    7) Assault Rifle Percision Scope
    8) Assault Rifle Magazine Upgrade
    9) Assault Rifle Stability Damper
    10) Sniper Rifle Spare Thermal Clip
    11) Shotgun Smart Choke
    12) Shotgun High Caliber Barrel
    13) Shotgun Blade Attachment
    You can also find Human characters to add them to your team at a common rate in game world.

Uncommon weapons that you can find in Mass Effect 3 are M-5 Phalanx, M-22 Eviscerator, M-9 Tempest, M-12 Locust, M-13 Raptor, M-27 Scimitar, M-97 Viper, M-29 Incisor, M-96 Mattock, M-15 Vindicator and Phaeston. The weapon modification parts that are uncommon in this game are SMG Ultralight Materials, SMG High Caliber Barrel, Pistol Piercing Mod, Pistol Melee Stunner, Assault Rifle Penetration, Assault Rifle Extended Barrel, Sniper Rifle Extended Barrel, Sniper Rifle Enhanced Scope, Sniper Rifle Piercing Mod, Shotgun Shredder Mod and Shotgun Spare Thermal Clips. The characters that are uncommon and might be difficult to find are Turian Soldier, Salarian Engineer, Turian Sentinel, Quarian Infiltrator, Asari Vanguard and Drell Adept. You can find them by completing certain mission.

Consumable items that are rarely found are similar to that found in common consumable items category. The only difference between them is the amount and difference in values of other attributes of the items. Weapons that are rarely found in the game are M-25 Hornet
    • M-6 Carnifex
    • Geth Pulse Rifle
    • Geth Plasma Shotgun
    • M-300 Claymore
    • M-98 Widow
    • Arc Pistol
    • Disciple
    • Graal Spike Thrower
    • M-37 Falcon
    • M-76 Revenant

Many characters are also rarely found in the game to add them to your team. I found Asari Adept which has powers like Stasis, Warp, Throw, Asari Justicar and Fitness. Also you can find Krogan Soldiers and Krogan Sentiels who have good weapons provided by default. Another character that is rarely found is Quarian Engineer. It can provide you a good amount of health and shield bonus. Also it is good for melee attacks. Usually I use him as a defensive unit in a team. Another character that is rarely found is Salarian Infiltrator, useful in stealth and long ranged attacks. Good in handling heavy and long range weapons. I also found that Drell Vanguard is a rare character. They are good in using powers like warp and barrier. They are most effective when using pistol and shotgun.

Some of the items that are UltraRare are,
    Black Widow is a excellent Sniper Rifle that will be found so rarely in the game that you might miss it the first time. It is manufactured by Systems Alliance and has damage value of 66. The default amount of ammo that it has is 3 / 15 and firing mode is Semi-Automatic. It is found in mission by name Spectre Requisitions. Another heavy pistol which is very rarely found in the game is M-358 Talon. It is manufactured by Cerberus and has default ammo of 4/24. It provides damage of 50 and can be found in mission namely Priority: The Citadel II. M-99 Saber is an assault rifle which is rarely found. I once found it in mission by name Priority: Horizon. I don’t know if who its manufacturer is. It has ammo of amount 8 / 40 and has semi-automatic firing mode. I didn’t find is much useful as it has base damage of just 3. You also find an M-77 Paladin in mission Spectre Requisitions which also is very rare gun in Mass Effect 3. It has damage of 66 and has semi-automatic mode of firing. It has ammo of amount 4/16 by default and its manufacturer is unknown. Javelin is another very rare Sniper Rifle which comes out of Geth Armory. It can be found in mission Rannoch: Admiral Koris and has a damage of 75. Firing mode provided by it is of Single Shot type and ammo that it consists by default is of amount 1 / 9. In mission Priority: Sur'Kesh, you can also find one of the rarest guns by name Scorpion. It is categorized under Heavy Pistols. It provides damage of amount 50 and has Semi-Automatic firing mode. The total amount of ammo in it is 4/20 and its manufacturer is unknown.