Thread: Tribes: Ascend Flag defense countered easily

Tribes: Ascend Flag defense countered easily

Capturing the flag defense is really a joke at the time. Destroying the generator is not having any logic unless and until the tactical strike is very cheap and that is accessible very easily. According to me, possibilities for this are to linking all the strikes/drops within your teams radar sensor otherwise the generator. This is the reason that, it will be better to keep the em up and this will have deeper meaning on the offensive side as well. Other than this, the last major patch have taken out the maps where defense was actually valuable and it left with the possibility in order to defend maps. I just wanted to share this with the people over here and so I am posting it over here.

re: Tribes: Ascend Flag defense countered easily

I am also agree that the tac/orbital strikes required to be jacked up with the price and other than this, it is required to be tied with the generator. Because of this, the game is with the constant of tac strike and after that 200kph flag grab through no chance to get it stop. There is one more thing that is wasteful and that is the ability to spinfusor static base defenses as of super-max range. I encountered a player earlier who was playing infiltrator, using a stealth spinfusor from across the map and destroying our static defenses with virtually no risk to himself. If you go over to kill him, he would stealth and run to some other location and continue spamming the spinfusor. Long range direct shot weapons should not kill static base defenses so easily- or if they do, it should take your entire ammo supply for that weapon, completely upgraded to kill a static base defense. Mortar juggs are fine, I can appreciate the skill in mortaring base defenses (also they cannot hide and their position and that is given away constantly by the smoke trail) but the juggernaut spinfusors base defenses almost as effectively as a highly skilled mortar.

I think that the Tac Strikes/Orbitals take every skill out of game. Main work of the mortar launcher is to clear the flag stand and there is no reason to dump that down. I found that there is no points to defending the flag lying on maps like Katabatic where you set up a great defence just to have it totally obliterated by a single Tac strike. Everyone is dead and the flag capper is having a free shot at the flag. This happens over and over again. At a certain point in the match it just becomes a matter of who is having more money to spend on tac strikes. Just for the reason that they are cheap, it's just turns to be nonstop. I want them totally removed as of the game simply as they drag the skill level down, but because the whiners are louder it seems like they are here to stay. bind them toward the gen and make them more costly.

I think that the Static base defenses as well as deployable are very easy to destroy and most of them are gone in the blink of an eye. It's hardly worth placing items any more as most offensive tactics have evolved beyond them. I am not able to understand that why does it take so long to repair items? Leave a gen room after repair and almost instantly hear the gen go down again. I can kill someone in the gen room and they're back and killing me before the generator is up. I used to like the 'cat and mouse' thing with deployable turrets but the notion of setting traps was part of my gameplay. I play Raider as defence now and I think that this is more successful.

I am not talking regarding the player speed or the general mayhem. That is an essential part of the game but there is a large aspect of potential gameplay which is being ignored, the ability to significantly shape defiance in response to changing offensive tactics. I can understand the game is marketed as 'fast' but look at the kit. I suggest that the beta gameplay has a purposely appealing offensive.

Yes, this is a bit unreasonable. The reason that the game was not that bad earlier is that you generally couldn't see the enemy's flag defense as of your own base and there was no a direct line of sight to it. Other than this also, it was able to expand your disk ammo in oeder to takeout the one base turret. Other than this, it was possible to get the laser rifle and pick off the offender pretty without any problem.

Re: Tribes: Ascend Flag defense countered easily

I also believe that the combination of cheap tac strikes and long range spinfusor spam makes flag defense hard against even a mildly competent team. Larger spinfusors can take out my fully upgraded forcefields in about 3 disks, from halfway across the map. Good luck hitting that guy with a heavy bolt launcher before he nukes your defenses single-handedly. The fact is, the addition of the MIRV launcher makes all of these other options for breaking flag defenses unneccesary. One juggernaut can obliterate everything with a single well placed MIRV. And that is fine, because it takes some degree of skill to land the rounds. There is zero skill involved in calling in tac strikes or spin-sniping stationary defenses. Playing flag defense often a futile measure, so most games people don't even bother. The entire defensive strategy is to chase the carrier down after he grabs, because there is basically nothing anyone can do to prevent him from grabbing.

Re: Tribes: Ascend Flag defense countered easily

I'm one of those people who stand on a hill as Soldier or Brute and shoot spinning discs at the enemy turrets. While enjoyable for me, it does seem too easy. Spinfusor disc damage should roll off and their trajectory should not be infinitely straight. However, I must admit being frustrated when someone can repair a turret faster than (or just as fast as) I can damage it. Some have said that base turrets are a joke, but I find them to be a major PITA. Their AI is pretty good at predicting moving target locations. I greatly enjoy the game as it is. I played T1 and T2 and find T:A to be far more accessible. This is good and bad. I'm kind of hoping for some kind of split between the current "casual" CTF and a more serious version that is more rewarding player skill and team coordination. This could involve automatically matching player and team skill levels