Thread: Do you think Jackal is OP in Tribes: Ascend?

Do you think Jackal is OP in Tribes: Ascend?

I don’t think that the Jackal is OP in Tribes: Ascend and here is the proof for that:
    • Pahtfinder: Bolt launcher: 910 (after patch its 873)
    • Soldier: Spinfusor: 910 Thumper DX: 770.
    • Inf: Jackal: 3 shots 500 each
    • Raider: Arx buster: 3 shots 600 each
    • Inf's damage is 100 less then each of Raiders shot.
    • At the same time the pathfinder is having same damage (almost) like soldier.
    • Other than this: Raider's Grenade launcher: 550 damage, clip 4 or 5 shots.

I want to hear from the people from here that what do you think about this? If you have anything to share on this then please post that over here. Thank you!!!

Re: Do you think Jackal is OP in Tribes: Ascend?

According to me the Jackal was supposed to be a trap weapon. Make ambushes and traps and after that lie in wait and not being able to run in grenade shooting all over the place slaughtering everyone, damage. I think that 500 is alright. I estimate that it should get slower RoF and not being able to explode midair, instead it should get some delay before they can be activated. You would do well with thumper/disc/any SMG under the same circumstances. They just shown that the weapon is viable but has a lower skill floor as compared to other explosive weapons but not a higher skill ceiling. I feel a player with good aim would possibly have a disc / automatic weapon than the Jackal. Other than this TDM is a skewed environment with a steady supply of close range targets where longer distance inaccuracy is easily forgiven unlike in CTF where the projectile velocity and lack of arc on spinfusors.

I found that the control that the Jackal has is insane. It's far easier to use than the Arx Buster and that alone makes me want it. the red beeping noise of the sticky makes it difficult to get three jackal sticks before they can dodge and the sticky takes too long to throw if you use jackal first. 3x jackal followed directly into a backstab is a kill and this works better and saves grenades. You can't force thumpers, disks or smgs to airshot with splash damage. It’s a straight upgrade to a medium class weapon, the arx buster.

There is strategies as well as playstyles to counter dissimilar weapons within the game. For AoE splash weapons, you fly in the air, making it much difficult for you to hit. You strafe on the ground against chainguns and making yourself harder to hit. Against a weapon like the Jackal, you're not safe on the ground or in the air. There's no counter strategy to this weapon except to hope that you get the jump on them and land some kind of a nuke before they have a chance to recover (which is a strategy used against any weapon, but it's hard to do against infiltrator). This same dilema has happened in the very similar game of Legions. The rocket (basically a disc) on a certain loadout could be detonated in air. It was taken out of the game because of its imbalances (especially its ability to easily shut down cappers). The Jackal, however, is the same gun but worse (as in stronger). If you miss one shot, you can still attempt two more quick successive shots before you're forced to wait the reload time. Its detonation time is also much shorter and this game in general is slower and difficult to dodge such weapons as compared in Legions.

There is one scenario and with the help of which it will certainly be overpowered in CTF at the comp level (and even more at the pub level if you decided to do this). Infiltrators are currently used to try to clear the stand. They usually do this by spamming grenades before their capper comes in and this is forcing the defenders off into air or they attempt to chain them out. With the jackal though, they can easily spam large radiuses from afar on the ground and in the air with no repercussion (they need to be close to chain people out or actually land the grenades, and both of them only hold either the air or the ground). You can easily bounce defenders around so there's no way that they can attempt to stop. The capper let alone chain out a timely infiltrator.

I think that it will be better to change the jackal to do 400 dmg with 4 ammo per reload instead of 500 dmg with 3 ammo per reload, and Keep in mind this is a short range weapon also so it should have some benefits added to close range to balance it out. Let me know what you all think. Whatever you do please…do not remove midair explosions since it adds a whole lot more depth to being an infiltrator and Tribes in general. If you make me waste my gold by removing midair explosions I'm going to be extremelly frustrated.

I can guarantee that if this trend of selling weapons and then nerfing them rendeering them unusable then there will be a huge backlash torwards Hi-rez. This might end up being the most expensive game I ever played. And I mean played as in a past tenceand from then I stop supporting it.

If the airburst is removed then also it will allow them to midair with their primary. Right now, the Jackal is the only explosive that you can reliably mid-air with without having to score a direct hit. Spinfusors and grenade launchers require incredible aim to hit someone in the air. The Jackal does not. Even if there was a half second delay between triggering and the things going off, you could still kill people by sticking them, and you could still set traps around corners or on the flag stand, you'd just have to react to enemies half a second sooner. And I think that it isn't that hard in those situations. I think people are talking about that doesn't let you detonate within a certain amount of time after firing. After that time, you could still trigger the explosion instantly at any time. I think that sounds like the most reasonable way to balance the weapon, currently.

All you people must remember that the INF is a light class and he dies to everything in the game in one and a half hits he has to deal with turrets and thumper wielding technicians juggernauts spamming mortars indoors and everything else trying to kill him and other than this his stealth also breaks.

I think that this is the time that he have got some love and he got something viable. Other than this there are some of the videos of it on the youtube and that is seriously giving the terrible representation of how the weapon works. First of all the arena is tiny and all people do is jetpack up higher as compared to the other person to win every fight and the game is balanced for CTF. also the guy still had to mid air several times through the jackal. This is not like he was getting 1 hit kills with it. And the people saying that this makes the raider as well as arx busters job irrelevant. Well I say before the patch a raider, it could do an INF job better than him and now they are equal.

Currently, I am having about 75% chance to land some kind of damage (possible 500) in air and on ground and anywhere within a pretty decent range. Anyone who prefers splash damage weapons (stealth spinfusor) has no chance in a 1v1 duel and people with a chaingun have very little.

Along with this weapon, you will be able to control the ground and air incredibly without any problem. I didn't even use stealth within that game and this is for the reason that I didn't require to. Imagine fighting a whole team of people who can bounce you around wherever you are as easy as that. Just think about trying to play stand defense as well as trying to stop cappers next to an offense by means of these. Imagine being a capper coming in with someone who can simply bounce you off of your route earlier than you grab. Just imagine the possibilities through a weapon that is very adaptable. Thus by increasing the reload time, and making it impossible to blow more than one round of it in the air will make it balanced.

There are some of the people who think that there are no human-noticable delay within the airbursting stickies within tf2 but I would like to tell you that this totally wrong. There is a delay and any person that mashes the detonate button straight after firing would notice straight away. You cannot hurt yourself with a sticky in TF2 if you shoot into an open space whilst spamming the detonate button when standing still. In TF2, I don't think airbursting is OP, it just means you are in the Demoman's optimal mid range damage area or somewhat closer to that and the delay is too long and he has to charge his stickies to shoot further, significantly reducing his firing speed. Tribes relies so much on being airborne as a way of avoiding AoE damage, airbursting (at least with this delay time) at close range shouldn't be so easy.

Lets me make something clear to you guys THIS IS NOT TF2 or anywhere close to tf2, so weapons should not be balanced based around a game that is nothing like it. And if you are getting your ass handed to you by inf with any class it’s not the game that’s the problem its simply your gameplay so stop crying. i guarantee more than half the people bitching about The Jackal being op are TECHS that most likely use the Thumper and now that infiltrators actually stand a chance against them they are pissed off. and everyone else thats mad plays arena or tdm and has no idea what an infiltrator has to deal with in CTF. This is only for the reason that a new weapon came out all the tears start flowing. The game is actually better now. no longer do i see teams stacking unbreakable defense on the flag stand to win standoffs because the infs are clearing the flag stand like they are supposed to and getting the flag back pre patch the games pacing was all wrong one team would just get the flag hide in their gen room with 6 techs and 3 juggs spamming the entrances with doombringer shields and mines guarding each and every door.