Thread: Tribes: Ascend menu requires 100% GPU

Tribes: Ascend menu requires 100% GPU

Hello friends I would like to tell you something about the GPU of the Tribes: Ascend menu as I was playing this game and (mind well I always play at minimal) I was having 70 fps but as soon as I entered the menu my GPU usage went to 100 percent. I think it should go up to maximum 80 percent as I am play on minimum requirement but going to 100 percent is really annoying. What do you guys think on this? Please do reply.

Re: Tribes: Ascend menu requires 100% GPU

As you has started a thread about the menu of Tribes: Ascend I would like to add something about what happened with me when I was on Menu of Tribes: Ascend. Last night, after playing a few matches, I was browsing through the menus to look at some of the class upgrades. Hitting ESC to back up in the menus was causing the end-of-match stats for the last match I played to pop up, in addition to backing out of the menu. Seems unintended. Hitting ESC again made them go away, but then backed up a second level on the menu. Clicking the little 'ESC - Go Back' icon worked correctly.

As per me I think that there should be an FPS cap in the menu, no reason to have 120 FPS while in the menus. And it should not be capped through VSync or frame rate smoothing, but just hard capped regardless. VSync I have disabled in my driver so it wouldn't even work for me. There is no competitive menu scene in Tribes: Ascend, so I think this can a major issue so I think that they need to fix this problem.

I did find that when playing Tribes: Ascend my peak GPU temps were around 10C higher than in other games, for the same (locked, probably too low) fan speed, and GPU usage was peaking at 100% (vs. 60-70%). However, once I capped the FPS at 60, the GPU usage and temps fell in line with the other games (also capped at 60). It seems that not everyone is having the issue with the menu. However, I'll play around with the menu a little and report back if I have any problems.

This would make sense, especially since we can't even manually rotate the models with mouse, but the problem with pre-recorded videos is that now they have customizable classes, and there would have to be a video with every possible combination of weapons/skins/stuff.

Right, I've checked the menu, and for me at least, it does have a frame rate cap - the 60 fps that I've chosen. Even before I set max fps to 60, it was capped at 90 without frame rate smoothing, or 122 with frame rate smoothing. My GPU usage never goes above 70% and the temps never get higher than in other games. Some people are clearly having strange issues. To those supposedly without a frame rate cap, what kind of fps are you getting in the menu?

Yes this is still a serious issue, it was worse a couple of patches back but the problem still exists. The GPU load is high even if no models are present in the background. HR you have to take a new look on this. The menus should be a smooth place where my computer can relax and not one where my GPU fan is going faster than actual in game. Thanks for creating a new topic, I've thought about it for a while but in the end I felt like such a smart ass because the problem is so obvious they can't miss it.