Thread: Mouse button not works properly in Tribes: Ascend

Mouse button not works properly in Tribes: Ascend

I tried to config my right mouse button for moving forward but I don’t know what is the problem it suddenly stops working while I run. I am not able to understand if it has anything to do with using jump pack or something like that. It's not just my mouse and happens with nearly any key. It seems to happen mostly when I'm firing at the same time. Often I'll be skiing through the air and notice that my direction isn't being affected by WASD, and I have to let go and repress of my keys to make myself start changing direction. I've also had this happen with Z (flag drop), spacebar (ski), and g (get out of vehicle.) I initially thought it might be something with my hardware or drivers, but I asked around and others seem to experience this as well. I started noticing this mostly after the big patch. I believe it even happened before it as well, but not nearly as often so I chalked it up to human error. Now that it's happening so often I've been able to confirm that I'm indeed pressing the keys with no effect.

Re: Mouse button not works properly in Tribes: Ascend

Never had this in Tribes: Ascend except when using high level GFX. But it was due to fps drops. What i get in Tribes: Ascend is my mouse just stopping to work for a sec, but i don't think it could give what you describe. In the end I’ll go for the mouse problem too. Got a Razer db that did me something like that. In the beginning i felt like i was moving slower and then too fast for a sec and it barely ever happened. A few weeks later the effect increased and i realized the mouse was registering all my movements; the game was just "playing" them super fast a few sec later. Until one day i had to shoot the poor mouse in the head to stop her sufferings.

I had the same problem in another unreal engine game I recently tried; maybe it's an engine thing? I found it was only a problem at low sensitivity and the problem increases as the zoom level is increased; pixel skipping also became a problem at higher zoom levels. I have not encountered this in Tribes: Ascend, but maybe my sensitivity is too high for it to be a problem, the zoom in Tribes: Ascend is lower then what zoom level 2 was in that other game. I took it to the forums and got flamed for having a broken mouse and being a scrub, who don't know anything about anything, but it was definitely there and it was a problem.

The input mouse problem i have is when i play the Tech, i use the SMG often (TCN4) and sometimes when i fire, sometimes it will fire once and suddenly "switch" gun but it just "put back and retake the same gun", so i see my gun go away and then reappear with the usual animation, so that's time lost in firing my gun and it sometimes happen in critical time while i want to kill someone, and it can be very frustrating! I play two FPS games right now, this one and Team Fortress 2, and it seem like it never happened in TF2, and i often use repeating weapons (Heavy's chaingun, Pyro's flamethrower, etc.) And i don't have a crappy mouse with a loose scroll wheel; i have a Razer DeathAdder left-hand edition (yes I’m left-handed for the mouse). The turn speed cap on the shrikes is implemented in a bizarre manner. It is causing what can best be described as inverse mouse acceleration. Move the mouse lots = Barely turn at all. Move the mouse slow = Max turn rate. It is incredibly unintuitive and unnatural. Very hard to get used to but not in my case as I am a lefty.

1. (Normal state) Mouse wheel = Changes weapons
    2. (When zoomed) Mouse Wheel = changes zoom level
    I’m interested in the normal state and disabling it from "changing weapon". I can't see how to do this in game. Is there a way to change an (ini) file for this? I usually just delete "GBA_WeaponSwitchWithFilter |" from these two lines in the TribesInput.ini:
    Bindings=(Name="MouseScrollUp",Command="GBA_WeaponSwitchWithFilter
    Bindings=(Name="MouseScrollDown",Command="GBA_WeaponSwitchWithFilter

Mouse scroll are supported and work while in game. I can feel differences as sensitive as 0.005, hence the strange value. It took me hours to find the perfect setting for my mouse. Maybe they simply don't store on the server. If this is true, then it is a crime against humanity and needs to change. It's really not that big issues to change the value back to your preference before you start a game, but it's still a flaw.

In the menus everything is fine. As soon as i join training or a server, the mouse won´t run smooth. I move the mouse slow from left to right, and the cursor jumps a bit up and down, like my hand would tremble. Menus, Windows and all other games work fine, no problems, only Tribes: Ascend is unplayable. I have 70+ fps, tried other settings, smooth mouse, VSync, other resolution. Restarted Tribes: Ascend, my system. Drivers are up to date. I played normal yesterday; today my key bindings were reset and the problem occurred.

First of all, I want to say that I really enjoy this game; the skiing, the fast movement and the projectile weapons give a very nice old-school feel. I do however have a strange issue that can be very frustrating, especially in fast-paced combat situations. I have this strange stuttering whenever I use mouse look; it's strange because when I just strafe or move backwards or forwards, the game is smooth as butter. Also, movement is also smooth when I use the arrow keys. Whenever i turn using the mouse, you have this slight stuttering; this is not there when i just strafes or jumps without moving the mouse. I tried a number of things to solve this issue: lower detail settings-no effect, vsync on or off, with trilinear buffering or not - no effect (vsync does help with tearing though), Framerate smoothing off or on - no effect (also lowered the cap to 62), mouse smoothing on - this does seem to help a bit, but the stuttering is still there even with this option on. Using a different mouse and different USB ports - no effect. Note that the stuttering is present even on the training maps, so unlikely to be due to my connection.

1. Launch games, choose sentinel class
    2. Select settings, key bindings
    3. Assign scroll wheel to any bindings
    4. Attempt to change zoom level by scrolling the mouse wheel as sentinel class
    The player is no longer able to change zoom level. The player should still be able to change the zoom level with mouse scroll, "change zoom level" itself should be an additional key binding, that let's itself overlap with other key bindings (mouse scroll could be bound to select primary weapon and select secondary, but still change zoom level once zoomed, for example). If I force the bindings myself by editing the config, it doesn't work correctly in game.

I've set my config to both change sensitivity and mouse wheel up/down key binds when I zoom in/out, although it isn't 100% perfect. I ended up changing extra buttons to avoid some of the situations that leave you with the wrong sensitivity and key binds too. Even then, I occasionally have to use a separate button that toggles between them without zooming. But it does work.

Hope this helps (for toggle zoom, by the way):

Code:
    Bindings=(Name="LeftShift",Command="DoZoom")
    Bindings=(Name="DoZoom",Command="PressedZoom | setbind MouseScrollUp MagnifyZoom | setbind MouseScrollDown DemagnifyZoom | setsensitivity 9 | setbind B RealignUnscoped | setbind R SniperReload | setbind Q SniperSwapWeapon | setbind LeftShift UnZoom | OnRelease ReleasedZoom")
    Bindings=(Name="UnZoom",Command="PressedZoom | setbind MouseScrollUp PressedMelee | setbind MouseScrollDown BehindView | setsensitivity 16 | setbind B RealignScoped | setbind R ReloadWeapon | setbind Q NextWeapon | setbind LeftShift DoZoom | OnRelease ReleasedZoom")

Bindings=(Name="B",Command="RealignUnscoped")
    Bindings=(Name="RealignUnscoped",Command="setbind MouseScrollUp PressedMelee | setbind MouseScrollDown BehindView | setsensitivity 16 | setbind LeftShift DoZoom | setbind B RealignScoped")
    Bindings=(Name="RealignScoped",Command="setbind MouseScrollUp MagnifyZoom | setbind MouseScrollDown DemagnifyZoom | setsensitivity 9 | setbind LeftShift UnZoom | setbind B RealignUnscoped")

Bindings=(Name="R",Command="ReloadWeapon")
    Bindings=(Name="SniperReload",Command="ReloadWeapon | setbind MouseScrollUp PressedMelee | setbind MouseScrollDown BehindView | setsensitivity 16 | setbind LeftShift DoZoom | setbind R ReloadWeapon")

Bindings=(Name="Q",Command="NextWeapon | setbind MouseScrollUp PressedMelee | setbind MouseScrollDown BehindView | setsensitivity 16 | setbind LeftShift DoZoom")
    Bindings=(Name="One",Command="EquipPrimary | setbind MouseScrollUp PressedMelee | setbind MouseScrollDown BehindView | setsensitivity 16 | setbind LeftShift DoZoom")
    Bindings=(Name="Two",Command="EquipSecondary | setbind MouseScrollUp PressedMelee | setbind MouseScrollDown BehindView | setsensitivity 16 | setbind LeftShift DoZoom")

Bindings=(Name="Three",Command="SwitchToCallIn 1 | setbind MouseScrollUp PressedMelee | setbind MouseScrollDown BehindView | setsensitivity 16 | setbind LeftShift DoZoom")
    Bindings=(Name="Four",Command="SwitchToCallIn 2 | setbind MouseScrollUp PressedMelee | setbind MouseScrollDown BehindView | setsensitivity 16 | setbind LeftShift DoZoom")
    Bindings=(Name="Five",Command="SwitchToCallIn 3 | setbind MouseScrollUp PressedMelee | setbind MouseScrollDown BehindView | setsensitivity 16 | setbind LeftShift DoZoom")
    "When you run out of ammo and reload automatically you'll be left with low sensitivity, so I set R to change it back as well. Just make sure you hit it even when you're auto-reloading."

"Yeah, after some more testing, you will need a separate bind in case the sensitivity and zoom go out sync, like if you die while scoped. I've set B to always be the sensitivity you're not using, so you can flip between them. Obviously, if you want another button, just change all Bs and set bind Bs to whatever you want."

I believe I know what is causing the problem. When you are playing Tribes: Ascend, certain programs (in my case it is Skype) are popping notifications in the background. From what I can tell, the game doesn't prevent the mouse from actually moving in the background while you're aiming and sometimes you will put the "shadow mouse pointer" on the before mentioned notification. For some reason, the actions on the notification are prioritized over the game, and in my case, clicking the left mouse button will bring me out of the game and into the Skype’s window, while pressing the right mouse button will prevent the game from registering it, and as a result, until the notification is gone, I can't use the jump/jetpack function (the default setting for RMB). It certainly is quite annoying, but it is easily fixed by disabling the notifications.