Thread: Tribes Ascend lags after patching

Tribes Ascend lags after patching

I am playing this game from past few days but I am not able to understand what is happened to my game after I had a patch that I am not able to understand as I had this game working very freely before I had patched it but after patching this game my game started lagging a lot. This is not a case of just a drop in FPS although that is there as well. There is a case of straight up lag. Not only that much when I try using jetpack and there is a considerable amount of time before it registers, unresponsive mouse input and major shuddering and choppiness on the menu screen. I have looked to troubleshoot anything on my end and there is nothing that I can find. Download and upload speeds are more than adequate, no driver conflicts that I can find and I am not having trouble with any other game except Tribes and that has really only been since the last patch.

Re: Tribes Ascend lags after patching

Runs fine, around 60 fps. It's not something that has to do with fps anyway, it just behaves weirdly. I'd have to record something so you get the idea. This is more likely to be a mouse issue, especially in Win 7 (which won't let you control the polling rate). I had to stop using my Intellimouse Explorer because when I was trying to make small movements with the mouse the polling rate would drop as low as 15-20 per second (which meant it was like playing with that framerate). Here's a tutorial for changing the mouse polling rate in Win7 (with links to dimr.exe and other utilities in the description of the video). It didn't work for my wireless Intellimouse, apparently the ultra-low polling rate with small movements is baked into the Bluetooth transmitter on it. Hopefully it will help you (at least dimr.exe will tell you for certain if that is your problem). I wound up switching to my ancient first-generation Razer, I really miss my thumb buttons. Yeah, I need a new mouse.

I’ve tried turning down just about everything I can and the graphics quality makes no difference at all. I did get some brief and (very) minor improvement by taking my FOV down from 120 to 110. As I said before, this game ran smooth as glass for me up until a couple weeks ago on max settings, my ping in always in the mid 30’s to low 40’s and I have no issues running any other games. I was super enthusiastic about the Tribes title being resurrected supporting this game and was financially and with feedback more than any other game that is not even in release. My son and I both have accounts and love playing the game, when it is possible to play. I will say that not hearing “boo” from anybody on the developer or customer service side has really put a damper on that. Would have been nice.

I'm having the delay issue as well. It can be immensely frustrating because the game will delay and I end up shooting myself in the foot. I've noticed that there are no such issues when practicing against the bots, though. So I would think the issue stems from the servers. Trust me I’m 28 years old and I been playing shooting games since I was 10 and I’m usually in first place on most games including tribes star siege back in the days. So my aiming is definitely not the culprit here, the inconsistency of the weapons is and it needs to be fixed.

I wonder if this has anything to do with my 8800gtx crashing every 2-3 games now. The first time I played since the patch my drivers crashed, my monitor lost all communication with my GFX card "no signal". Ever since that I can only play about 2-3 games then the game freezes entirely. I have to ctrl+alt+del and hope that it lets me close down the game, else I need to do a hard reset. Tried verifying the game, re-installing the latest GFX drivers, AV scans and all other maintenance. Then realized I can play all my other recent games just fine with no issues. It's scary to hear that Mushkillas GTs8800 died from this patch while having strange issues with the GFX card me ever since the patch. Think I'll have to steer clear from the game until this is sorted out just to be on the safe side.

I am all too familiar with the laggy players, but to penalize them for something that is completely out of their control seems harsh and unfair. It's not really a game breaking problem and almost all of the time, their connection smooth’s out and they stop jumping around. Eventually, as the game starts generating some money, I'm sure they will expand their servers and people playing will be able to connect to a closer server. Do you run into this problem a lot? Because I've run into it a few times, but it doesn't seem to be a huge issue for me. 15ms ping is great; you're really close to a server. I play around 40-60ms myself and suffer from no lag issues. But I can't control how close or far I am from a server, nor can I control my AT&T connection. And no there is nothing better offered in my area.

I know for a fact that I've rage quit from way too many games because of people abusing lag switches. I Think they should really should do something about this, it's a shame the Unreal Engine 3 is prone to it. In my opinion they should set it up so that if you lag out, you lose control of your character while you’re lagging and not have they spanned out all over the place. That's what happened in UT99 (which ran on Unreal 1.5) if you hit packet loss, you as a player wouldn't know what happened and you would all of a sudden be like ten feet in whatever direction you were moving assuming you didn't get gunned down. In older games like that, you were more prone to getting killed if you hit lag.

Are you talking about a huge drop in FPS? As far as I know 'lag' (which concerns the speed of data packets being sent and received) doesn't stop you from moving around. Could potentially be overheating hardware if it is an FPS drop. Have you tried updating your drivers (if they're not the latest one)? Also might be some background application deciding to run while you play. I like it very much and I've been playing it ever since i discovered it, which wasn't long ago. I wanted to report e problem that has been occurring to me from the beginning of my experience in this game. Every time I play I start off without any lag AT ALL, but then as the game progresses I get an extreme (MEGA) Lag where I can't even move. I usually have to wait at least 2-3 minutes for this lag to disappear but then it keeps happening again and again and again. So basically after the first lag i get to play for like at least 25 minutes of NO LAG GAME but then again it is very much lag strikes and I've found this very annoying lately. That is the reason I wanted to make this Topic and hopefully someone is having or had the same problem...If anyone feels like they can help...please share!

I’ve been playing this game for around 2 months. I took a small break, and when I came back I was lagging dramatically. Before hand I had no lag problems except the occasional lag spike. I get wireless internet, but like I said I have never experienced these problems before, I tried running the game on the lowest quality but that does nothing. Is there anything that might be causing this? Something I might be able to fix? The game has pretty much become unplayable, and my character bounces all over the screen, or has something happened that has just rendered my computer/internet incapable of playing the game properly? I checked and my system meets requirements (except that I run Windows 7, and that apparently isn't recommended). Thanks to anyone who can give a useful response.

This is happening to me too. The game ran flawlessly until the last patch or two. I can't remember when it started but it was recently. I don't think it's as bad for me as some but yeah, it's like dropping frames or something. It seems worse inside buildings. Before anyone offers the advice to check my router, drivers, connection etc. etc. let me just say that I run BF3 seamlessly as other more demanding games. It's not my hardware, connection or anything other than the present build of this game. I know this for a fact. I hope it gets fixed soon. I'm just gritting my teeth and playing around it for the time being but like I said, I don't think it's as bad for me as others.

Hi all just wanted to figure out what’s going on with my pc right now i have been playing tribes since like the second day of closed beta and everything was fine in closed beta but i quit for like 4 weeks i installed tribes again a few days ago and have been getting bad lag on all settings high low medium very high minimal all of them i have over 60 fps but I’ll get like this choppy lag "FPS DOES NOT DROP WHILE LAGGING" really can’t figure out what’s doing this any ideas what i can do to fix it or is anyone else having this problem? I’m pretty good at this kind of stuff and I’ve tried under clocking / over clocking CPU changing HT link over/underclocking ram and video card updating drivers and all that thinks.
    My current setup
    gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 mobo
    gtx 550ti vid card
    amd phenom 2 x4 965 @ 4.2ghz
    8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance 1600 mghz ram
    corsair tx 650 w power supply

Please help my system is very capable others games its doing fine just tribes is screwing up.

I am also getting this. The game was running perfectly until the 1.0.905.0 patch and now the game is unplayable for me. Every server I connect too I get crazy lag and pressing tab shows every player's ping in the thousands. Frame rate does not seem to be an issue but the game is so jumpy I can’t tell where players are supposed to be. The game still runs smoothly in practice modes so I’m guessing it’s not my pc, especially as it run fine online before the latest patches. I really don’t think it’s my internet either as I have optical broadband which when tested on speedtest.net I get 14ms ping, 37Mb/s download and 8Mb/s upload. I have restarted my router and even tried reinstalling the game but unfortunately for me the game is still unplayable which is a shame.

When you are experiencing high levels of lag, either from server-wide lag or high ping (typically 120+) you may occasionally press fire without generating a projectile. This occurs with normal weapons, but generates no lasting problems with them. However, if the server fails to register your deployable placement, you will become incapable of deploying that deployable, no matter what until you either die or use an Inventory Station. If you throw a grenade that doesn't get registered, your hands will disappear and you will become incapable of doing anything other than moving/jetting until you die or use an Inventory Station.