Thread: Not able to install new hard drive in ps3

Not able to install new hard drive in ps3

Quick backstory:

Ive got a 250 GB HDD ( yes 2.5" SATA) out of my macbook pro I wan to use in my ps3. Initially everything went great. firmware update, old HDD backed up, new one put in, trophies synced. I finally get to the point that the restore of my data onto the 'new" drive is complete and --D'OH! It was a backup from like December, and that just wouldnt do. Everything but the last few months of saves from games was on there with gobs of room left over...but it wouldnt do. I must have that missing savedata!

So I tried to do it all over.
    Now it seems Im confounded at every turn.Nothing is working right. When I backed up the old HDD again, and tried to restore that information onto the "new" HDD it wouldnt get past the formatting stage. 8 hours and it was still at 0% . I erased the external i was using to hold the back up info, and am in the process of backing up old HDD again.

Any thoughts as to why the drive wouldnt get past that step? Could it be corrupted? I know it has nothing to do with the computer it came out of, thos drives are virtually universal themselves, and it formats itself during the back up process so whether it is in FAT 32 isnt an issue.

WTF guys/gals? Ive done everything i can think of---which granted isnt anything near what Im sure you all can come up with.

Re: Not able to install new hard drive in ps3

Just check the drive is detected by any working computer if you have. If possible try to connect it to any working system and format it. The PS3 has a tool which format the drive and make it readable for the console. The issue only appears if there is any fault with the disc. If that drive is detected in pc then format is entirely and leave a single FAT format. Insert the drive and try to run process back again.