Thread: Valve moving into next generation of their games

Valve moving into next generation of their games

I was browsing the website of Valve reading the details of their games when I saw that the games like Half Life, Counter Strike Condition Zero, Day of the Defeat & Team Fortress were made on GoldenSrc engine. The next installments of these games were developed on Source Engine. Games made on Source engine are Half Life 2, Counter Strike Global Offensive & Team Fortress 2. So can we expect 3rd installment to these games?

Re: Valve moving into next generation of their games

The pattern in the release and development of the games is just a co-incidence. The Steam engine is a fully developed engine. I don’t think that a new engine will be developed by Valve to replace Steam. But we can expect a Half-Life 3. It can be brought back by showing that Alyx comes back to get her revenge. Teaming up with Gordon Freeman hey set on new quest. I would like to play Half Life 3, but it should have better graphics than Half-Life 2. Valve should introduce new enemies and new weapons to use.

The games that are currently developed on Steam are best for the hardware that is available in the market. It also restricts the hardware consumption to a medium level. The games created using Source engine do not put load on user’s hardware. This is why I don’t think that Valve will replace Source engine so soon. I too am waiting for 3rd installments of many games developed by Valve. But we have to accept the fact that game development doesn’t take place in a week. The people working at Valve must develop a good concept to work on. Now that people liked the previous games, they must keep the expectations high or that series will perish.

The source engine is updated regularly. So I don’t think that there is any need of having a completely new engine if just upgrading it can provide new options. The developers include a new part when they need to develop something new in their game. I want next installment of Team Fortress to release. It has been long since I saw an development in this game.