Thread: Things I didn’t like about XCom

Things I didn’t like about XCom

I have been playing XCom for some time now, it seems like I am in middle of the game’s story. The concept of the game was bit different but I didn’t like few things about it. Like I didn’t like the inventory system of the game, one needs to dump duplicate objects. Only one base for player is provided for such big map. One can play around with 6 soldiers. They must have provided at least 14 soldiers if the length and difficulty of game is taken into consideration?

Re: Things I didn’t like about XCom

I too played the game, the first thing that I disliked about the game was the camera angle provided for the gameplay. Generally the games like XCom should have a fixed Isometric camera rather than top view freeform camera. Switching between cameras is also another tedious task and wastes time of a layer. The base view is displayed like ant farm which again is irritating. Couldn’t the developers just keep the list of rooms in list from which we can choose which room to visit and interact in? I agree with the problems created by less number of soldiers we get. The length of the game is so big that, many times 6 soldiers don’t seem enough.

The base for sky rangers, aerial vehicles, naval vehicles, land soldiers and vehicles is combined. They should have been in different places to add more strategical feel in the game. According to me, it would have been great cover up for less number of soldiers. For example, if one starts from land unit’s base with 6 soldiers then till he reaches the airfield, maybe 2 of his soldiers will die. To cover their places, one can recruit 2 air rangers or other air based units. I think the game would have been fun if made in FPS format.

One thing I found bad about the game is that the developers had a good chance of great weapon development. They could have given players ability to pick up enemies guns. This would have expanded the weapons and fights. I would have loved to fight the aliens with their own weapons. They could have provided with fights like Halo. Pick any weapon that comes handy. Another thing I didn’t like was that of inventory. One needs to drop certain items to pick new once. They have made such a big base but don’t have place to store weapons brought by player from battlefield.

The game is described as RPG. But I didn’t get a bit of feeling of the game being RPG. It was more like strategy with focus on overall squad. There was no emphasis on one fixed character being the protagonist. Many times I won the battle without any prime involvement of leader of the team. Also the classes from which one can choose soldiers are too less. They should have provided many other soldier classes. Even the breaking of objects in the environment didn’t feel nice. Everything destructive object broke in a snappy manner giving an odd feeling.

The developers should have provided an option for moving injured teammate to an safe place. This would have added a war like effect. When one of the teammate falls to the ground, one needs to kill all the enemies that are attacking him/her or can attack. If option to drag the injured soldier in safe cover would have been given, it would have seemed more realistic and fun. Also the unlimited ammo part doesn’t seem good in such games. Rather they should have provided option to pick up enemy’s weapons.

The class system of the game is really bad. In the beginning you start with bunch of soldiers who themselves don’t know what they specialize in. Bad thing for a fighting organization who doesn’t know what their recruits can do. You take them in fight and there they learn about their specialty. So if I am playing around with 5 soldiers, I am expecting at least one of them to be a medic or explosive expert. And all of them turn out to be heavy machine gunners. Couldn’t the developers let the player choose class before selecting the player? I was once playing, took a rookie soldier. I thought I’d train him to be a medic, But after playing him for some time he turned out to be sniper. The worst part was, I had to let him play a whole mission with pistol, a sniper class soldier using pistol.

I hate the looks of the armors designed for players. They give a funny look to the players, it seems like they all are awkwardly fat. If compared to realistic armor designs, a person wearing XCom type of armors won’t be able to move around his mid-body normally as one should be.

The game is meant to display the futuristic war with aliens. The urban areas seem fine for war, but the farmlands with slaughtered cattle, the ruined farm houses, I don’t think they fit well in such type of games. Even the urban areas could have been made to look futuristic with hovering vehicles and other sci-fi objects around. Maybe the developers should take some inspiration from games like Halo and Crysis.