Thread: Can we specify Refresh Rate in Alan Wake?

Can we specify Refresh Rate in Alan Wake?

I want to ask that if there is some option by which I will be able to specify the refresh rate from the launch option? Currently, My system is showing that as 1080p. This game is not able to hit the 60fps, it is just keep on locked on 50fps most of the times. If I am changing the refresh rate earlier than launching the game then that will stick. And because of this, I will be able to make use of 50Hz v-synced. Can you tell me any possible way for this?

Re: Can we specify Refresh Rate in Alan Wake?

What you can do is, just make use of the latest Evga precision otherwise the MSI afterburner and with this, you will be able to limit the frame rate at 50 FPS. This will solve the problem for you.

I think that you do not understand the basics. It will be better for you to leave the vsync ON. This does not matter that you are having the refresh rate as 60Hz. Therefore leave the refresh rate on 60Hz and then make use of the Evga precision for locking the frame rate at 50 FPS. If you will do that then it will give you very improved game play. You will not get any type of stuttering and screen tearing.

If you are running the game on 50fps at 60Hz then one of the below things can occur:
    1. V-Sync is disabled and you will see the screen tearing.
    2. V-Sync is enabled, and you will get 30fps with game.
    3. Triple-buffering is activated and therefore the game will run at 50fps by 10 frames repeated, and stutters poorly.

I think that it will be better for you if you can run the game at multiple of 50Hz (50/100/150 etc.) and this will give you the smooth gameplay. I have personal experience with this and so I am telling you this with confidence.

Are you making use of Triple Buffering? If yes then the game will render at the 50fps but still that is missing thee 10 frames. Therefore, 10 from the 50 frames will be recurring for fitting to the 60Hz. As it is with the high frame rate then it will not be having the screen tearing but it will be impossible to have the smooth motion and this is because of the repeated frames. You will see that the game stutters if there is any movement.

If you are rendering the 50fps then you will find that the display is required to be at 50/100Hz in order to eliminate this stuttering. This does not matter that if you are using the Triple Buffering or not. Making use of the Triple Buffering will avoid the game dropping down to 25fps anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by DougWison View Post
    If you are rendering the 50fps then you will find that the display is required to be at 50/100Hz in order to eliminate this stuttering. This does not matter that if you are using the Triple Buffering or not. Making use of the Triple Buffering will avoid the game dropping down to 25fps anytime.
    I am agree with this and because of this only the modern HDTVs are having the 24Hz option to be used for the films. Earlier than the Blu-ray, films which were just 24fps were put into the disk with 3:2 cadence. This was do ne as the TV was operated with 59.94Hz. This indicates that every fifth frame was doubled and because of that the screen stutters as you are screening 24fps content at 24Hz.