Thread: Flickering of textures in Alan Wake PC version

Flickering of textures in Alan Wake PC version

I got the PC version of Alan Wake yesterday. I installed it on my pc. After playing for an hour or so I noticed that many textures that include objects at far distance and trees flickering. Can anyone suggest me some method to stop it. It is really ruining the goodness of the game.

Re: Flickering of textures in Alan Wake PC version

There can be many reasons for such problem to occur. I cannot suggest you any solution until I get details of the specifications of computer you use. For now you can try switching the graphics of the game to low or medium if on high from settings.

The specifications of the computer I use are,
    • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    • Graphic Card: Nvidia GTX 460
    • Processor: Q6600 2.4 Ghz Abit IP35-E
    • RAM: 4GB

I tried turning SSAO off, but still it did not help. Updating the drivers of Graphic card doesn’t help. The textures continue to flicker. I lowered the resolution and details of Graphics as suggested in above reply. But it still doesn’t help. The flickering is more noticeable when there is daylight in game environment. Totally ruining the game for me.

Disabling multisampling actually works. One can try disabling multisampling to eliminate flickering. But this gives problem in alpha texturing of small objects like grass and bushes.
    Due to this, the alpha layers of grass and bushes are working in reverse. The blades of grass or leaves of bushes which should be visible is not displayed. The surrounding texture that should be invisible is visible in brown or green color. So instead of grass or bushes, one can see cluster of green or brown squares.

Another solution to this is using the nVidia framerate limiter. Limiting framerate of game to 30fps solves the problem. With this limitation on framerate one can also keep multisampling on. The limitation on Framerate eliminates the flickering and does not create any anomalies in graphics. With multisampling on it gives realistic effect to graphics.
    This solution will increase the loading time of the game, but it is worth than having flickering or anamolies.

This is a known issue that Remedy and nVidia are actively working. there is an interim workaround using beta drivers and nVidia Inspector. Probably I'll just wait a week or two, as I imagine there will be a patch or driver that fixes things by then.