Thread: Do we need FXAA on Alan Wake

Do we need FXAA on Alan Wake

I want to ask that, if FXAA is required to be on if the MSAA is maxed out? Is it true that the FXAA will give the slight blur effect? In my case, I am having both maxed. I saw someone there if I have the FXAA on then that will be just waste of time if it is ok with the MSAA maxed. There is no issue with the performance. I just want to know that if this works better with the MSAA or not.

Re: Do we need FXAA on Alan Wake

I really don’t know about others but in my case, I always turn off FXAA if I having the FXAA off if I am having the MSAA on. In my experience the FXAA leads to more blur and therefore I prefer that less. This is really great in terms of the performance. I am using the Post Processing AA within Battlefield 3 as it is having a minimal impact on performance. If I have the MSAA with the BF3 then this almost reduces the performance to half.

I would like to tell you that the FXAA is very essential for the low-cost transparency multi/supersampling anti-aliasing and this is because, it makes the smooth out textures which is not true in case of the MSAA. If you would like to see the slight blurring of the textures then it will be better for you to put the FXAA low. Other than this, you can also try by focusing the transparency multi/supersampling from the driver profiles but if you do that it will do a a larger performance hit as compared to the FXAA.

Thank you so much for such nice information about this. I will whack up the MSAA and then stick FXAA on low as you have mentioned in your post. I will also try by putting that off also. But I am having doubt that I will get much difference as of low as compared to the off to high.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish View Post
    Thank you so much for such nice information about this. I will whack up the MSAA and then stick FXAA on low as you have mentioned in your post. I will also try by putting that off also. But I am having doubt that I will get much difference as of low as compared to the off to high.
    Mby suggestion to you is to adjust the MSAA within the Nvidia control panel and I am telling you this because there is no such thing within the game graphics menu.