Thread: How to turn off vertical sync in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

How to turn off vertical sync in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hello friends, I wish to turn off vertical sync in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim but I am not able to get the option for turning that off. So I am posting this over here. If anyone over here know that how this could be done then please let me know that. I will be thankful to all the replies from you people.

Re: How to turn off vertical sync in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

It is very simple to do that. For that, you will have to open \Users\[Username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory. And from there open the display section of the Skyrim.ini file. Now, go to bottom of that and add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of that. Save that file and you are done with that.

You can do that but I would like to tell you that D3Doverrider will force it on even if you turn it off, so that Triple Buffering works as intended. Triple buffering is exactly what it says, three buffers are used to render the image and send it to the screen. Not only does this remove screen tear issues, but this also makes the way the image is sent to the screen, completely smooth. DirectX does support triple buffering but it has to be enabled by the game developers in their code therefore what D3DOverrider basically does is force the feature on in DirectX regardless. It has worked beautifully for every game I have and has made a huge difference to games that tend to get mouse lag and stutter such as Borderlands on PC and Oblivion.

The frame rate is locked to a max of 60fps but that is because of the way triple buffering works, while some people equate better performance with higher frame rates, you can still get screen tear. Triple buffering offers the best of both worlds as explained in detail in the Anandtech article. For me personally, I find it makes a big difference.

The D3Doverrider is placed in the Riva Tuner install folder as an extra and can be dragged out separately and run on its own and Rivatuner can then be un-installed with no fuss. Just run the D3Doverrider.exe from the folder and it does its thing. I actually have an Nvidia card, and the software works with the newer Nvidia drivers (I found it didn't with the older ones). When you run the game then you will hear a ding, which says D3Doverrider is working. I personally keep a separate copy of the D3D folder for future reinstalls.

If you are referring to D3Doverrider here and not vSync disabling I should make clear you may not see any difference in FPS at all, but that does not mean D3Doverrider isn't working, as it does not change the 'front' buffer that dictates the FPS you see, but rather creates a second back buffer. D3Doverrider will make a ding noise when a game first initializes in full screen using Direct X, if you don't hear the ding, it probably isn't kicking in. I had this problem with older Nvidia drivers that seemed to stop it but the newer ones let it work properly.

I found that the effects are best seen on games that have bad stutter, mouse to screen lag, such as Oblivion vanilla, or Borderlands on the PC. It is most prominent when you spin the camera around a fair bit, and this should appear far smoother to your eye and there will be no tearing.

I have also tried to do this in many of the ways but I failed to do that. So have accepted the fact that this is simply not possible.

Since vsync is enabled in Skyrim, in D3D, all you do is find the main executable (not the launcher, I don't have the game yet so not sure if there is a launcher), set app detection level to high, triple buffering to on and vsync to off (since it's already enabled in game). I have an ATI card so I will also have a new preset for Skyrim. The cool thing is, when creating a preset; you can add execution of a file. So I have it load up D3D. So one click of the ATI preset, everything is ready to roll. Not sure about Nvidia but I imagine there is some similar functionality. I have been using D3D for years and it has worked in every DX game I have ever played. It truly is the best of both worlds (and kind of sad game or graphics vendors can't implement something so simple).

I in reality have a Nvidia card, and the programming goes with the fresher Nvidia drivers. When you run the diversion then you will catch a ding, which states D3Doverrider is working. I actually keep a divided duplicate of the D3D organizer for fate reinstalls.

I hold an ATI card so I will in addition have a brand new preset for Skyrim. The cool thing is, when making a preset; you could probably join execution of an index. So I have it stack up D3D. So one click of the ATI preset, every last item is solid. Not beyond any doubt about Nvidia but I envision there is some comparable purpose.