Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim pc mods as console DLC

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim pc mods as console DLC

Is there someone who knows or have any information regarding whether or not it is possible for bethesda to take pc mods intended for skyrim and make them into DLC for consoles. If possible is it likely to ever happen. If this was possible it would be epic for console gamers like me.

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim pc mods as console DLC

It is probable that Bethesda even had PC mods running on a 360 so they know it can work. It will never happen though because of various security concerns that would become a problem if anything were to go wrong during installation. On PC you can modify files yourself to fix any problems, you don't have the same ability on a console. Until Microsoft and Sony come up with a system that they consider secure and safe it won't happen and I don't think it will happen until at least the next gen consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Enos View Post
    It is probable that Bethesda even had PC mods running on a 360 so they know it can work. It will never happen though because of various security concerns that would become a problem if anything were to go wrong during installation. On PC you can modify files yourself to fix any problems, you don't have the same ability on a console. Until Microsoft and Sony come up with a system that they consider secure and safe it won't happen and I don't think it will happen until at least the next gen consoles.
    I heard them saying that it is probable to do and they were thinking about it.

It is possible that they should make a system that Bethesda the mod from the creator. Edit it themselves to make it save and release it as a paid DLC? I mean that I sure would pay for it. Even buying the mods I would be cheaper out then buying a new PC to run Skyrim decent. This is particularly the Unofficial Patches (This is probably will be needed) should be taken over by Bethesda.

I remember them commenting on the problem saying that they were considering it, what the difference between a mod and DLC and wouldn't bethesda be able to just convert the mod into the same format as DLC and seeing as dlc is pretty much a mod to a game creating more playable content but is just put through certification for consoles. I am not able to understand that why they can't just put the mod through console certification as put on the console marketplace as either free or paid for DLC.

I would definitely pay for a well made mod and i think a lot of other console players would to. As for bethesda selling player made mods there probably wouldn't be a problem if the mod creator was to get paid adequately.

It is also unfair for developers to make a game mainly for the weakest link in the chain and then expect fans to fix things that should have been done in the first place. Developers should make a game as good as it can be for PC and then downscale it for consoles if they aren't capable of running it, not the other way round. There are more people play consoles, one good reason being that PCs are a pain to deal with. I got tired of spending money for the constant maintenance and upgrading of a PC, why spend that money when you can just buy a console and be done with it?

This is the reason that I bought nearly all of Bethesda's offerings as PC games. I had the foresight of potential modding greatness. I was proven right every time. Knowing how M$ and $ony are all tight-butt over security and cash flow, they'd sooner charge Bethesda, the customer, and maybe even the modder as well for having mods downloadable as a DLC for the console versions of Skyrim.

Even on bad ports the PC version is ahead of the console version; PC gets the better version of pretty much all multiple titles, as well as having several PC exclusive games which are just pure (I am looking at you Starcraft2). I don't care if consoles get the ability to download and install mods. I don't care if you give them the ability to make them, but it's unlikely considering that the modders themselves are on PC, and for SONY and MS to allow you to download them they'd have to take a cut and it would have to be on their store. All of a sudden things become pretty damn expensive. I see games as art and I would like to think a developer would like to see their art to be as good as it can be. which Skyrim isn't. Don't get me wrong it is an amazing game and one of the greatest games ever made, but there are details in the game Bethesda seem to have completely missed either through lack of attention or because they have had to restrain the content they put into it.

There are more people play 'consoles' but consoles are two platforms. There are more PC players than there are Xbox players or PS3 players; the number of PC players is simply not larger than the two combined. Considering that PS3 has its own porting problems, it's not as if making a game for 'consoles' is a simple thing in itself. Developers are just lazy, and focus on what is essentially a larger combined market known for having regrettably lower standards.