Thread: Shalidor's Maze bug in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Shalidor's Maze bug in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

In the PC version that I have, my companion won’t exit the Shalidor's Maze. She'll say "can’t do that, sorry" once you enter the area from Skyrim. She doesn't seem to go out. Anyone else had this problem?

Re: Shalidor's Maze bug in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I have got the same problem. Using the Staff of Fear (Illusion) worked but neither the Staff of Magelight (Alteration) nor the Staff of Repulsion (Restoration) for the trapdoor has any effect. Am I missing some kind of requirement or is this a bug? I just had to hit the button with the spell from the staff then the gate opened. Pushing the button "by hand" wasn't even necessary. But it was only working for the illusion sign (the one you'll find if you go around the labyrinth to the back where the power word is). That's why I think it’s probably a bug.

Weird because how you going to hit the button with the spell of light? I have actually in the act of desperation loaded up a save from middle of the Dwarven city and played all over again until the labyrinthian and still didn’t work, sent my save file to a friend and as well didn’t work there so I am out of ideas right now, unless Bethesda unlocks the doors in a patch or in some magical way manage to fix it.

I had the same problem with the restoration sigil not working- I spent 20 minutes trying everything I could think of. Eventually I fixed it by standing in the exact middle of the trap door and using the staff on the sigil apparently if you are too close to the sigil it just refuses to open. There seems to be a bug whenever you teleport somewhere else that the NPC can't go they screw up (Meridia is another example of this problem). How I typically fixed it was just fast traveling to the same location I was already at.

Stuck at sigil of restoration, tried everything you said, moved inch by inch over the trap to find the "precise" place, but not working. But the thing is, at this stage of the Mage quest, nobody speaks to me at the academy, they wait for me to bring back that staff. So I cannot ask where the scroll is asked by the Dragon to advance the main quest. So as I wait for a patch or a magical reset, I keep on exploring. I hope they fix the maze soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AlisaDsa View Post
    Stuck at sigil of restoration, tried everything you said, moved inch by inch over the trap to find the "precise" place, but not working. But the thing is, at this stage of the Mage quest, nobody speaks to me at the academy, they wait for me to bring back that staff. So I cannot ask where the scroll is asked by the Dragon to advance the main quest. So as I wait for a patch or a magical reset, I keep on exploring. I hope they fix the maze soon.
    This bugged me for a LONG time till I finally remembered the riddle at the beginning saying something like "Restoration leads to destruction." So since I was at the Restoration one, I just whipped out my Firebolt spell and it opened right away.

And yes, I did just register to make this post--I figured the thing bugged me enough until I finally figured it out; might as well help some others so they don't have to be frustrated by it.

Hmm, I found, after going through MANY spells that "Ice Spike" did it for me!
    Weird.

The note actually says that Illusion will lead to Restoration... but I understand why Destruction spells work on it.

The trapdoor previously required a Destruction spell to open. Bethesda, in all their omniscience within their own games, ACCIDENTALLY coded the second trapdoor incorrectly, thereby making it require Destrucion magic just like the first trapdoor...

Quote Originally Posted by max_lan View Post
    Hmm, I found, after going through MANY spells that "Ice Spike" did it for me!
    Weird.
    After reloading about 5 times using the staff of repulsion, I finally found your post here! Ice Spike worked for me as well on the restoration symbol, thank you

Is it just me or did on one answer the original posters question?
    I’ve opened all the doors, battled the boss and my companion still won’t leave or return to there original location. Help please.

This is a bug and there are something you can try. First the bug is that your followers will not leave the maze after completing. This issue is common with unpatched game. To deal with the same try to travel as fast as you can to the most nearest location. When the game loads up the followers might appear back again. And if not then you have to move outside labyrinth and via console you will need to move the folloers. The command for the same is "prid [refID of followers] followed by moveto player.