Thread: Repeated CTD in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Repeated CTD in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

My game crashes on average every five minutes (sometimes if am very luck I get half an hour, other times it crashes seconds into the game). These crashes are all the same. The screen goes black, the computer ceases to respond and then a few seconds later the sound breaks (a very short loop of the last half second of sound played by the sounds of things). These crashes aren't associated with any particular place or places. The only way to recover from them is holding down the power button till it shuts down and restarting. Has anyone got any idea how to solve this?

Re: Repeated CTD in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

It seems to happen more often in wide areas, not dungeons, while all having win 7. First the gpu seems to crash, 5 seconds of sound (and Skype) still available, then soundloop and complete shutdown -> hard reset " I got win7 64bit, 5850HD ati, 955 amd (4x3200MHz), 4gig ram. Hope this gets fixed pretty soon because this makes the game unplayable.

Exact same issues. Crashes happen outside at a frequency of every 1-5 minutes, in cities every 20-30 minutes, and never whilst inside houses/dungeons.

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    nVidia 280m GTX 1GB

The only difference is that for me, a hard reset isn't required; the nvidia driver seems to be able to recover, so I "only" get a crash-to-desktop.

I believe there's a problem between Steam and the user's communication via Skyrim's download software. This may not work for everyone, but it did solve all of my issues. I hope this helps a few at least. Really is a beautiful game once it works properly. Of note though, I had to select this option at least twice (maybe three, I forget now). It takes roughly an hour each time, +/-. Goodluck!

I have tried a lot of things to avoid the crashes; so far I've only had four though. One was a freeze, the other three were an instant kick to the desktop (no error message, no weird effects just bye-bye Skyrim). They seem to occur entirely at random. My freeze occurred during the escape in the intro shortly after the cave in breaks the bridge, barring your way back. The others occurred during more random intervals once in the first dungeon (Without giving too much away, it’s where the Jarl's magician sends you to retrieve an artifact), and twice in the wilderness. There's no warning to the crash, no stuttering or any apparent gameplay issues, it just dies.

The game runs smoother than other Bethesda title for me. But I still get random crashes from the bare bones game. It seems to happen every three hours or so and sometimes while fast traveling. Even had it happen while I went to use the bathroom while my guy was standing in town and when I came back I was looking at my desktop.

Well i cant figure out whats going on. my skyrim crashes just the same. no error messages no warning, no messing up in game, just BOOM shoots right into desktop after about 1 minute. or sometimes it can be after hours. but im fully stuck now as its doing it after a minute everytime. i have both repack version and ISO version and it does it in both. to confirm, i have changed to every type of sound frequency possible and no difference.

Try to set sound to 24 bit 44100 kHz may also do it. I also done some more changes here:

- Change the sound settings in the Windows control panel to up
    - Apply LAA

I used this when my one friend has the same issue. His issue solved. So just try this if this will help you...