Thread: I am Giving Up because of the performance in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I am Giving Up because of the performance in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I really now seek of this and I just give up now. I can't do this anymore, all the fixes, patches, settings changes, INI file edits, hours of searching different forums. I think I may give in and do what Bethesda's wanted us all to do forever. Switch to console. Is there any hope? Will they EVER PATCH any of this performance crap?

Re: I am Giving Up because of the performance in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Lost my ini settings and so the shadow flickering has reared its head again. Due to this and the indoor performance I'm going to throw in the towel until a major patch hits, I've spent as much time tweaking the ini as I have playing, I kind of feel like I'm part of the bloody development team, just lacking the salary.

Bethesda said on their twitter account that they are working to iron out some of the bugs in all 3 platforms but that it will take some time. Take that for what you will but the little I have seen of Skyrim I can tell you that I would never want to play it on the consoles. The mods and the graphics are just too good to pass up. I will be patient because really all Bethesda games turn out to be very good in the end, especially the pc version. I just hope that it doesn't take that much longer.

Is your performance really so bad that you can't even play? I advise you to turn off whatever you need to turn off to make the game run well, and then sit back and enjoy it. Don't stress about whether you're getting a constant 60fps or whatever. The game is perfectly playable and looks great for me on a baby gaming rig. You can make it work. Just find your groove and go with it. You'll kill yourself stressing over every single frame. It is a game, after all try to enjoy it!

I am not even playing until they release some fixes with the quest. I am running into too many issues with quest. They are the same quest bugs everyone else is experiencing; I have this on both systems PC, 360. They are both having issues with quest bugs. For the PC the ini tweaks weren't too bad for me and it looks fine, but the quest bugs and NPC spawning and NPC disappearing and moving around like endermen and the dragon spawns, and dragons flying through mountains, and Mammoths spawning on top of tree's. Too many negatives to enjoy the game right now. If I were you, just wait on some fixes and maybe even just wait until the Creation Kit is released. I wished I would have learned from FONV release and just waited a few months after release to purchase the game. There was too much hype and I love TES, just like you I am tired of release day games plagued with issues.

I already gave up, but I won't be switching to console either. I suspect they want to move away from PC altogether anyway. Pete Hines has already publicly stated that developing for us is a headache. But if this is how they're going to do it - by either forcing us to switch to console (if we want to keep playing), or by using these 2000+ threads to make another "It's not us, it's the PCs!" argument so that they can say they won't develop for PC anymore - then I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

Performance is great, not bothered whether I run 30 FPS or 60 as long as it's playable. Problem is as soon as I'm in an indoor cell it can all go to rat [censored] and dip below 20 and I'd have to play it at 1366/768 on ultra low settings to alleviate this. Seeing as I cruise 60 FPS outdoors with high settings I can’t justify playing on such low settings for an issue that warrants patching, after all went out of my way to actually pay for a game for once, I upgraded my system for it, spent over a grand for it. I know Bethesda makes great games, I know they're buggy on release, but a game like Skyrim comes around once, maybe twice a decade and it doesn't feel right gimping it with ridiculously low settings (for reference at those settings my heavily modded Morrowind looks pretty much as good, no word of a lie).

Beyond the terrible textures, broken shadows, abysmal UI, glaring physics issues, blatant lie of it being an "entirely new engine", beyond all the many broken quests, dialog, AI and everything else - I still see this awesome game desperate to shine. I can see the potential for hundreds of hours of sandbox gameplay and immersion, so I'm not giving up completely. I am going to wait for three patches (however long it takes), and then go and get all the nice juicy texture and general improvement mods, and start from scratch with it (there's already a bunch of texture mods starting to come out improving things like the awful wooden furniture, stone walls etc.)

I think you are over exaggerating it just a bit. Bethesda games have always had issues within the first couple of weeks, this is nothing new. Yes they did say developing for the PC was a headache, and in a way I can 100% agree with that. They have so many damn configurations to take into consideration for optimization; I can fully understand how it could be quite a pain. That being said, if they are going to develop for PC (which they would be stupid to stop) they need to take the time to fully optimize to the best of their ability.

It doesn't feel like they took any time to optimize the game. There's no way a lot of this stuff would've made it through even a mediocre testing regimen. And yeah, I'm familiar with Bethesda games. Been playing since Arena. Played every TES title, and even the bad spinoffs. But this experience has been by far the worst I have ever experienced.

I should've explained myself a bit more. I was mainly saying the part where you stated they want to stop developing for PC was a bit overboard, my fault. I think they knew the goofed up with the PC version of Skyrim and I personally feel that's the ONLY reason they even released such a statement. I think it was more damage control than anything. Luckily I'm only having slightly poor FPS in the cities. (i7 920 @ 4.0, gtx 570 sli, 6 gigs ram, etc) I will say that it could be much better though. I hate how there is locked vsync too. I've tried the ini trick and it won't change anything and I finally forced it off through the control panel, but then I have major issues with the damn game after that.