Thread: Horse Carriages and Fast Travel in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Horse Carriages and Fast Travel in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I've been using the "no fast travel" rule for a while; I started in Oblivion after I went through the game a couple times. I realized how much more fun it was. These horse carriages are a puzzle for me though. I can't decide whether to use them or not. Given simply the sheer amount of traveling I do already I use them to get from town to town, but I still feel a little guilty as if I just fast traveled. What do you guys think? Is it different from fast traveling, or is it all the same?

Re: Horse Carriages and Fast Travel in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I don’t understand how people can say the carriages are not fast travel; it does the same thing, only the carriage cost 20 - 50 gold. Just be honest and say you fast travel from time to time, other than that I don’t understand why people get so hung up on fast traveling. Personally i fast travel anywhere, the game is beautiful, but I still don’t want to spend 20 minutes to go kill a wolf, then return again.

I wish horse carriages actually took you places and you could sit back and relax on the journey instead of it just being a way for a role player to feel better about fast travel. After I blacked out drunk and ended up on the other end of Skyrim I decided to try it out for a way home and was disappointed to see it was just another instant travel, but I think it's cool to have the option as is still for some people.

I do not fast travel (I have done it once, because I got stuck behind some rocks whilst easing myself down a mountain!) I have used carriages occasionally so far, and I will certainly use them more once I feel I have explored a lot. Carriages are there for roleplaying purposes so that travel seems realistic rather than just click the map and magically turn up at the location, those players who do not role-play in that way will not "get it". The only issue with carriages is that you cannot use them if over-encumbered - you get in and go nowhere while the driver is telling you to hurry up and get in. A horse can pull a lot of weight in a cart, and carriages ought to be useful in helping you take loot home!

I avoid fast travel as much as I can and the carriages as well. I prefer to walk to the next big city, because you discover so much along the way. Plus it gives you a sense of where you are going rather than just appearing in front of a city. Though I will use the carriages once I have walled to and from a city. I think carriages should have random events, getting attacked by bandits, have to stop because of a landslide or washout and lead the horses around it etc. before continuing to your destination. (Well, normal fast travel should have that too, but I see no chance of that ever happening.)

The first mod I am planning is a better carriage system, where the carriage actually travels (but you can opt to rest during the trip and jump straight to the destination). On the carriage you will be able to read (without pausing the game) chat with other travelers, or occasionally repel bandit attacks. And the game is so much more fun without fast travel. It makes you respect the distances and the worldspace in general.