Thread: Anyone else not using horses in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Anyone else not using horses in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

So anyone here who are not using horses in this game so far? I much prefer to walk than ride one. I think horses are useless, so I tend to run or use the carriage to reach my destination. Anyone else have the same?

Re: Anyone else not using horses in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Never touched a horse so far, except that one I stole from those Imperial Soldiers, but I then promptly dismounted it and set it on fire. I don't like using horses, simply because I don't want to watch the hop off animation every time I get attacked by an enemy. My feet are more reliable, and I get to take in more scenery that way. There is so much atmosphere in this game that I found I missed out on all of it and the beautiful locations as well by just speeding past in a 3rd person view on a horse. They annoyed me too. Always charging into fights, dismounting for loot/ingredients etc.

I ran into a horse randomly, rode it for a while then got attacked, and he fled. Now whenever I fast travel the horse is there, sadly walking away from me. I think I got a free horse somehow, but even so I rarely use it.

Not going to use horses. I haven't had good experiences with them in Oblivion. I saw one in the wilderness in Skyrim once. I rode it for a few minutes. But too awkward to control. And when I got off to fight some NPCs, the horse tried to get away. Just too much trouble to bother. Besides, after I got flying mounts in WoW, and realized that they ruined all immersion and exploration in the game-world, I have zero wishes to use any kind of mounts in Skyrim. Let me run. And let me admire the beautiful scenery. I am not using companions either. Doesn't make sense anyway, if you want to do some sneaking once in a while.

I bought one to "rush quickly to the watchtower" at the beginning. I reloaded and saved my money, it was so stupid. Didn't seem much faster than feet. Plus no use in terms of extra carrying capacity (i.e no saddle bags or the like). And no 'horse call' functions. Bethesda, you said you liked to use some of the ideas from mods (end even other games). There are two good ones! So I figure I'll not use one, it'll be easier to traverse mountains and stuff when I need to.

I wasted 5k in gold for a dumb animal. I can't use any attacks on a horse, I lose my companion, and when I get off a horse to fight a bad guy, my damn horse charges into his death. Poor, poor scripting for the horse AI, and not to mention there are NO actual benefits, for the player to have a horse. Bethesda is way behind the time in mount complexity. Yet the pioneers. Too bad they dropped the ball on that one. Who knows maybe a dlc will come out where we can ride dragons, and blow fire. That would be great, as hungry as we are for mounts and razzle dazzle in them perhaps that would give the mount system, in Skyrim, a face lift.

Tried out the horses in Oblivion, and besides using them for real role-playing, they don't seem to be of any real use. Having to dismount all the time, or worry where they run off to is annoying, and with fast-travel there is no need. Even just walking/running from place to place feels better than on horseback. Idk, it just seems like a hassle more than an experience you can't miss.

I bought one horse and then died before saving. Didn't rebuy the horse because they wedge. Horrible camera angle, no mounted combat, no way to interact with the environment whilst on said horse. Why they haven't they implemented mounted combat yet? If that's too hard fine, at-least give me a first-person view so I can take in the scenery. Honestly, I think it's actually worse than it was in Oblivion.

I bought one, and usually rode them in Oblivion, and Daggerfall. It wasn't for long in Skyrim, though. I was getting tired of dismounting every 10 seconds to fight something. So I parked him at some cabin I found in the woods. Seemed like a nice place with goats, chickens, and a friendly looking woman farming her crops.

I was never without a horse in Oblivion. They were faster than walking, which was a great help since I never fast travel. They were helpful in a fight. I kept my 3rd horse for literally years. In Skyrim, I do not believe they add any speed. I don't like the forced 3rd person view. And mine died in the first 5 minutes due to a misjudgment of how steep a hill was.

They could walk backwards, at about the same slow and hesitant pace that a real horse does! A lot of the gates to the paddock of the stables outside cities opened outwards, and the best way to get your horse in the stable was to ride up to the gate, activate the gate while still mounted, and walk your horse backwards to avoid the opening gate, then into the paddock. I'd have gone spare if I had to dismount and remount to get my horse through a gate! Not used a horse in Skyrim because I love horses and get upset if they die - when the Creation Kit is released and I can look up the horse IDs to set mine as unkillable I might get one (just for role-playing purposes, not to use as a tank or anything!), but until then I'm going everywhere on foot or by carriage. I also want to ride in 1st person; I'd rather not be in 3rd person view. If there's no mod for that eventually, I probably won't bother with horses at all.

I use horses all the time. The only downside, in my opinion, is that they die too easily. I've gone through 8 horses so far (41 hours in), including one that I got for free, which was named (RIP Frost </3). At this point, the cost of them doesn't even affect me, as I have around 50,000 gold, and every time I enter a dungeon I seem to find near 2000 - 4000 more, in the form of loot.