Thread: Why Resistance 3 requires a mandatory install?

Why Resistance 3 requires a mandatory install?

Recently I heard that Resident 3 game will need 1.5GB mendatory install in order to play. Is it true? Actually 1.5GB is not a very big size, but what I want to ask that why some games like this requires a mandatory install. There are games like Uncharted 2, Killzone3 and others also which have better visuals than the Resistance 3, and somewhere they have similar game structure also but they don’t require a mandatory install, they can be played without installing but this is not so with Resistance 3. And not only Resistance 3, there are some more games which require mandatory installations, but I don’t know the reason, why they need so. Therefore, I want to know, why this is so.

Re: Why Resistance 3 requires a mandatory install?

I don’t have any problem with that, because, I still have around 20GB space for my Playstation 3. And therefore, 1.5 GB will work on my PS3.

For my Playstation 3 I have around 180 GB memory space left, and I also don’t have any problem with its 1.5 GB size but, what I want to ask is, why it has a compulsory installation, and why we cant play it without installing it, as we do in games like Uncharted 3. That’s my question.

They make games to be installed as mandatory, because it gives you a smoother experience when you play those games. And the most common reason for these games to have mandatory installation is that it reduces the loading time of the games.

I can understand that Playstation 3 has slow reading rate, because it uses blue ray drive, and therefore these games get installed to a shortcut data. But, then also I have this confusion, because there are many games which also have reasonably less loading times and they don’t require any mandatory installation. I mean to say that Uncharted 2, Killzone3 and even the God of War 3 don’t get any problem because of not having mandatory installation, then why Resistance 3 has it.

Yes, Killzone3 and God of War 3 have perfectly reasonable loading speed, but you cannot say that about Uncharted 2, because it really takes a long time to load.

Yes, those games have reasonably perfect loading time, but you should also bear in mind that all of those games are developed by normally first party companies, and therefore they have really a huge amount of budget to make games. And Insomniac didn’t have that much of budget for developing this Resistance 3 game, and therefore you should not compare those games with Resistance 3.

From where you got to know that it is having 1.5GB mandatory installation, as far I have seen in many different sites, Resistance 3 game has only 656MB of installation.

Yes, I know that you may have seen the size of 656MB, but you should have noticed carefully that that is the size of its patch not the games install. And it is true that it has 1.5GB compulsory installation. And if you install patch also then you will have over 2GB of data just for Resistance 3. But, as he mentioned above, he is not bothering about the size, but requirement of installation.

Here, I am trying to give you the most specific answer for you question. All the games have the biggest problem about the accessing data from Blue ray drives, and therefore, giving a shorter loading time, by loading the data quickly and efficiently into the memory, becomes a little difficult for the games. Some games, who don’t requires installation, but gives reasonable loading time, they suffer from texture pop-in. I have seen that issue in few of games.
    The games like Resistance 3 have mandatory installation, and therefore when they get installed at that time they install all the required data to the hard drive, so that the game can be loaded in lesser time, while being played. And then you can move quickly from menu to the game and along with that you don’t get immersion break because of texture pop-in.
    As the games like Uncharted and Killzone3 don’t require any installation, therefore you have noticed that they require relatively more time to load initially. And during that initial time, they bring up all the required data from the disk to hard disk memory. This is the case in most of these types of games.

Actually both types of games have followed right way according to them, because in both ways you have to compromise with something, if you are concerning with the performance of the game and user experience.