Thread: Dedicated Server for Warhammer 40K: Space Marine Multiplayer

Dedicated Server for Warhammer 40K: Space Marine Multiplayer

Will there be any Dedicated Server for Warhammer 40K? Having a dedicated server is really important and has many advantages. It will really improve upon the multiplayer experience of the game.

Re: Dedicated Server for Warhammer 40K: Space Marine Multiplayer

I don’t think there is open right now, as the devs have not announced anything as of yet. If they had one I think they would advertize about it as a selling point. I don’t think they are not going to release any application yet. It’s a shame really as I had high hopes from the Relic.

Relic is not working on Dark millenium Online but Vigil is working on, although Vigil is a studio also under THQ, Relic are the developers you can look it up on wiki, or even on the front of the Game BoX its says Relic. All the Devs been showing the demos have been from Relic not Vigil. It only supports local hosting as of now. It screams p2p/local hosting and I am not particularly happy about it. Just look at the recent multiplayer reelasees with dedicated host for proof. They seem to work well, mayb the devs should take a cue fro mthere and release a server immediately. The hacking will be a problem without them.

it's not just the hacking, it's also the consistency of 'servers' that can affect a gameplay. The game is hosted by someone who is also playing the game so this requires very high rig pcs to play. Now, some of the players may have them but if it’s not a high rig pc then the whole server gets fffceted and eventually it affects the gameplay. But if the same is with dedicated servers you get to pick and choose your server, the one you feel is right one, add them to favorites, play with regular players or friends, play competitive or clan based stuff and keep the hackers at bay by not allowing access to system files.
    For time – dependant games like this one the p2p will just dosen’t work.

No, I'd be happy to see if a server that was dedicated to the task at hand would cope. You can't honestly think that a typical pc, replete with consumer grade specs will go with the high end xeon type of machines. That’s why I want a server dedicated server for me.

In a dedicated server, the same data is still being transferred. But instead of player to player, its player to server to player. Your "typical pcs" are still using up the bandwidth in a dedicated server world but with the help of a middleman as well. Also, if you have smaller upload speed then download, then the connection will begin to strain.
    If there is sync operation reqd. for the transfer than upstream is equal to downstream or else where AI is involved, the upstream data would be nil as Ai data doesn’t need to be synced across players. In an FPS, a little lost data can be refreshed later but in a RTS, the quality and resistence of data stram is important than the actual amount of data. In this game there are a 1000 positions, directions and ballistic calculations that needs to be synced or you will experience a diff. game then the rest of the players. SO this game that requires RTS rather than FPS, it will require dedicated server to work. RTS games do, in fact, require a sturdy connection than other game types due to the amount of data being transferred, and the quality that the data must be transferred at.

Yes, absolutely right, and that’s why the thread is dedicated server for Space Marine, a game type that ofcourse benefits from dedicated servers to the tee and is absolutely necessary for the game to play. SO, a lack of the dedicated server is surely gonna be disappointing as I was looking forward for the game.

Well, I get your point that multiplayer does indeed require a dedicated server but the whole thing goes back to the thing that this game's focus has always been the singleplayer experience: killing down and smashing through hordes of orks. The multiplayer is just an added and later feature of the game which has been added as a bonus and was never meant to be a integral part of the game. They don’t even have mechanism to balance Orks in multiplayer, so it’s futile to expect more in this mode? Yes, they are having character customization for it, but that’s a different issue nowhere related to the server thing.
    There are many other games with the same or better multiplayer, I would be satisfied if they stuck to single and co-op, as the game release has been delayed because of improving this multiplayer.

Well, but if they do stick to single and co-op, the game will be a flop, even if its good. Look at Red Faction Armageddon which failed due to lack of multiplayer support. So, I think even if it’s not up to the mark it will add more value and replayability, as most people complete the single mission in a maximum of 1 week. Also, how many third-person multiplayer shooters are available in the market. This could be a trending point and they should look to improving this in their future versions.

Your case in point Red Faction failed because it was not good, not because it didn’t have multiplayer. Look at Dead Space 2, no one plays the multiplayer in that game, but still it’s single player experience has made it a hit. And adding a tacked on version of MP only adds in the list of cons for the games though yeah it might bring in the multiplayer fans to the game. So, just saying as a advice they could add multiplayer but only when it can be listed in their pros of the game and not con!