Thread: What are advantages/disadvantages of FOV in Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

What are advantages/disadvantages of FOV in Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

Can someone please tell me about FOV (Field of View) and what should be the FOV set for the game to have a better play at the game. Should I set the default value of Fov or set it to 90 which gives a better field of view? I haven’t played Fps games for sometime, so unfamiliar with the fov.

Re: What are advantages/disadvantages of FOV in Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

FOV is the field of view in the game, or how much of the game screen you can see on the computer screen. So, if you set the FOV as 90 you set 90 your vision so you obviously see a larger portion of the game world than the low FOV one. So, you basically have better in-game experience than the low FOV game. But remember large fov will look good only in widescreen monitors as in normal screen it will look uneven. As many have widescreen now, the games should themselves consider increasing the FOV. Until then you can do that manually from the setting. The gamers still don’t know how to do that, and console games don’t have any option to do it. The advantage the larger FOV is more immersion because movement will feel more natural and life-like. Developers of First Person Shooters should be trying to imitate the human field of view, because that will deliver a genuine ‘first person’ experience.

Re: What are advantages/disadvantages of FOV in Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

It is both for higher and lower FOVs. If it is lower, than the zoomed view gives a see better at distance. if it is higher you have a wider field of view and thus have a peripheral vision. Though replication of human eye will be difficult, as human eye cannot percept square box I a single view. Increasing FOV also decreases your fps and it might make it difficult to view the spot enemies far away. I prefer 70 than 90, as I would like to serve on a small area, rather than distract me with a larger area. But it does make the screen stretched.

When we want to focus on an object in real life, we turn our head and eyes to it so it’s near the middle of our field of view. In games which have low FOV there is no sense of depth, and you see a 2D world instead of a 3D world, since it is a lack of panorama which is necessary in creating a 3D feel. A greater FoV aids in the aiming of projectile based weapons in FPS.
    Panorama in FPS games will allow you to…
    a) gain much more focus on what you aim at
    b) Move with more purpose, as your peripheral vision becomes clear. This is true especially in games with fast movement, flying or strafe jumping. It will surely improve your game by much.

Hey, nice point taken. Panaromic view is really the future of gaming. Recently Eyefinity released triple widescreen functionality. Here we have even more FOV to play with that is 3 times more. So, you can actually see straight and to both left and right of the screen at the same time. Also, Alienware had released a widescreen panaromic monitor but it was not used in the market as there were not many takers. It promises a high-level of immersion at a resolution of 2880 x 900. Till now this luxury is only for the super rich.

I had used 90 in COD and was really comfortable with it. That’s why I use it with every FPS game I play. But this game has given a GUI option for changing it which is very good, as most games I had to type in console commands in the game to change the FOV. Anything less than 90 makes me feel like I'm smashing my face into my monitor.