Thread: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad: A spectator Sports, not a War

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad: A spectator Sports, not a War

For me, Red Orchestra 2 has disappointed so far. After playing through the beta version and discussing it with hardcore RO fans, we have come to conclusion that the game is nowhere near the original RO. I will say you why; in RO1 you are thrown onto a battlefield, such as a large open environment or urban city, and you had to move taking covers, flanking the enemy, and utilize support weapons to provide suppression and cover fire to advance. In the game you were never sure what strategy enemy was using. The gameplay took me to a mindset of being in a real war, because of the tactics. I mean I was scared to advance as I was scared I would die. That is the reality of war, people died and people were scared.

But, now in RO:2 it feels like a single map everywhere where we would just run and run and do mindless bloodshed without doing any strategy at all. It’s like a sport where the first person to kill all and be a hero wins. It is just a cheap thrill giving game rather than a actual terrorism simulation which RO:1 was famous for. It is Beta version, so we could suggest some improvements so that they take notice of this serious situation.

Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad: A spectator Sports, not a War

Yeah, you have written absolutely true. Their step away from RO1 and simulation is evident by the removal of transport vehicles and preference for small maps. I just hope they make some real large maps with some real flanking sequences and strategizing moves before attacking. I miss fighting for a purpose, and the teamwork that was required. With small maps it is simply ineffective to play with team and should rely on run-and-gun solo tactics only. Hugely disappointed with it.

I though feel, it has improved a lot in mechanisms, graphics and storyline. But yeah I too want some changes in the general gameplay and strategy in the game to make it more exciting. Some changes I thought of was –
    *Larger combined arms maps. And not just the generic large circular pit surrounded by buildings filled with snipers.
    *There should not be "phases" for maps. We should get access to all the map.
    *Longer Bandage Time
    *Removal of names over heads as it is annoying.

Some other ideas that could improve the game much are Addition of old school compass along with radar like old times, Weapon sway with no stamina so you have to take a break to hold your breath and take control again. Lessen the ability to large amount of zoom in sniper, also along with large maps, some extra time is a must to be added. Thank you for creating such a game, but I too wanna feel a real war simulation and not a gladiatorial performance and be a hero.

Well, according to me the start is always like total chaos with people running like mental like headless chickens as they have no clue what’s going on and not used to the map. All I can say is that give the game some 3 months and the gameplay will get really slow, as most will know the maps and controls and the guns and will form a team to better win the game.
    The same thing happened with cod online, the first month is totally madness, But play MW2 now and it has become a slow, meaningful gameplay now. Though I feel RO:2 is much more interesting to play than MW2, as Cod has mostly gone downhill from its high and the new maps just lack that old feel.

You summed up perfectly met, I have been a big fan of RO for its methodical and tactical pace which could turn into chaos suddenly which made me really scared and thrilled to play the game. You felt like you had a real role in the process of a great objective. Also, rather than players choked into viable routes, it had massive maps where team was spread throughout the map and it was a huge battle line,
    Of course there were other closed small maps like Apartments, but they were often still more open than the current version. I guess the old style did not find many fans, as most people are used to mindless shooting and killing like CS and COD.

In the apartments, it is actually really small, and you have no chance of forming a team or strategist. I feel some of these option are added, and the current chaos will surely be subtle after sometime I believe, when people realize they have only one life to cherish it.

Well don’t jump to the conclusions as of yet, as this is just Beta version which has just some maps which were introduced so that people know the spirit of the game. All the large maps with opportunity to teamwork and stratezizing will surely be available in the final product. And the suggestions you made will surely be added or might already be there I believe. This is what the Beta version is for, for improving the bugs and errors. And anyways this is the best FPS released in 2011, others don’t even give half of what this game has given, you will have to agree to that.

I know that the community is 100x more creative and devoted than any developer out there for this game, that was the first place, I decided to buy this game, coz I trust the mods that will come out once mod tools are out. It is a good game, not yet balanced, but yes the mods will take care of it later. As the devs have said earlier that the game is completely moddable. So that’s good news yet, and it is without a doubt the best FPS to come out recently.

The problem you are saying with the maps are just some of the maps that are available yet. There are many other large maps in the offing. Also, I think since you too are new and haven’t experienced the map yet, you are not seeing possibility of flanking or teamwork as I found out I can do that in some of the maps with ease.

I think telling the hard-work of the devs a spectator sports is just too much. You are forgetting this is a closed beta, with just 3 maps and content which is not complete. This is just for bug testing and errors and nothing else. You cannot make conclusion about the gameplay or how the game’s turned out to be unless you finish the game completely. And regarding teamwork in multi ops it’s the community who plays it, that makes the difference. We will be there to provide suggestions and mods to make it happening and strategies to bring about realism in the game as you want it.