Thread: Why there are no proper anti-aliasing for Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Why there are no proper anti-aliasing for Deus Ex: Human Revolution

As of late developers are starting to appear for FXAA / MLAA indeed as multiple methods or super sampling AA. FXAA / MLAA both make a very small effect, but also give a great performance hit, so it is becoming popular on consoles. That's all fine and dandy, but I'm playing on a PC. Give us real AA that looks really good. It bothers me that even as a PC exclusive Trackmania 2 completely resolved MS / SS AA for this shit FXAA that both insulting and ineffective.

Re: Why there are no proper anti-aliasing for Deus Ex: Human Revolution

A lot of games using deferred rendering of these days, allowing faster processing of dynamic lighting and shadows are so superior now widely used. However, deferred rendering does not work with traditional methods of AA without using a driver profile that can prevent incompatibilities.

Check out the latest drivers for your GPU, as they might have an established profile for HR in which AA can be forced to appropriate, but is likely to cause bigger performance hit than usual. If not, you can try writing the value 0x00001241 compatibility, as I have had luck with it in other games of rebels.

Other PC games which utilize delayed rendering, but DX10 and / or more multi-sampled DX11 support anti-aliasing (MSAA) and / or coverage sample anti-aliasing (CSAA), Gears of War for example, DX10 and F.3.AR in DX11.

My personal opinion is that it is much easier for developers to implement FXAA or because the performance overhead low, which is a great advantage over the console hardware MLAA aging. It's just that developers better be ready to make the extra effort to implement MSAA and CSAA properly on the PC. That said, I'd rather have FXAA / AA MLAA then not at all or terrible edge based AA does not eliminate the jaggies at all. Furthermore, 4x MSAA F.3.AR incurs a large performance hit 50%, however, is only slightly better than FXAA. The penalty is only FXAA blurs the image a bit like the infamous Quincunx AA on the PS3.

Starcraft 2, perhaps the biggest PC release exclusive last year, if not the last year 5. Most likely Diablo 3 will be so, since it is the same engine. But AA self-esteem is always nice.

What good are three types of "AA" if none are even remotely good? And I'm grateful for their efforts to support the game after launch. And you have to admit, it's silly that games from 10 to 12 years old can do better than the latest (at least in regard to AA, which is a major component of images).