Thread: Is a Windowed Mode available for Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Is a Windowed Mode available for Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

I have pre-ordered the new game on Steam as I really liked the first look when it was revealed. The thing is I like playing my games running in a seperate window, so that I can at the same time do some work or chat with friends. I also use steam overlay while playing games. SO before it’s release I watched some videos and that showed going through the menus but sadly I didn’t find an option where I couls change to Windowed mode. I think it was an unfinished version, so all want know if the final release will in fact have that option that would be really cool if it was. So I am just waiting for your answer.

Re: Is a Windowed Mode available for Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Hey, I just need to ask one question why do you need to play the game on a windowed screen? Wouldn’t that just kill the experience of the game. The game developers have worked so hard so that they can immerse you in the gaming world of theirs and here you want to get distracted by chatting with your friends. I cannot imagine even wanting these feature as it is of no use to me.

Anyway I hope since you want it, it may be included in the game.

Dude, maybe playing game isn’t his first priority. And nyways, everyone has his/her way of doing things. If he doesn’t want to get immersed as you say, why should you care? It is totally subjective, as he has paid for it, and he can play how he wants and also can ask about the features he wants in it. He can never play it if he wanted to and the devs wouldn’t care of how he plays it anyways!

Well, on the question you have asked, there is always an option to shrink the game to a window if you are using Windows, just press Alt+E even if there is no option in the display. It’s not at all difficult to do, and it’s not important that it should be included in the game. Also, since you are using Steam there is an option to force into windowed mode by adding the -w or –windowed in the command line under the launch properties.

Well, I have got the game and tried all the steps you mentioned of ‘forcing’ it to play in the windowed mode, but its simply not possible. I think the devs have deliberately not allowed windowing the game as I even tried with registries. I think this is screwed up as windowed has many advantages atleast for me and it is an essential part for a game.

The following steps have worked for me. But they would be only for a DirectX 11.
    Step 1. Open up the game, and set the config to whatever you wantand make them final as you won’t be able to change these.
    Step 2. Open up regedit, and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eidos\Deus Ex: HR\Graphics
    Step 3. Now Change the value where “Fullscreen” is written to 0.
    Step 4. Right click and open Permissions for Graphics option.
    Step 5. Clcik Advanced. Since the game changes the value again to fullscreen, you will have to deny permission for the current user.
    Step 6. Now, after denying the game cannot change it on its own.
    Step 7. Next you must run dehr.exe with Shift pressed in order for it to work.
    The game will work fine if you follow this steps.

I finally have the game with me, I have been able to try to get it to run in some kind of window to no avail. The registry entries have option to change the resolution and size of the game and also force it to fullscreen. Apparently having a full screen version is not on their priority list as of now, as they have to solve some eminent problems and bugs that are far too serious. And they have solved those immediately, as I have not faced them now like the HUD issue. So, Nixxes is doing a good job and I am sure they will be addressing the full screen issue as well as early as possible. Till then you can do the registry changing thing as explained above.

Thank you for your reply sir, I will try all the registry method till they release a new patch for the game. Until then, I will have to do the irritating method of chaging registry evrytime. I wil also have to get a gamepad so that my gaming dosen't disturb with the keyboard setting of the computer. So, thankyou all for your reply.