Thread: Favorite Strategies or Tactics in Age of Empires Online

Favorite Strategies or Tactics in Age of Empires Online

What is your favorite Strategies or Tactics in this game? If I talk about me than my favorite one is Turtle Strategy. I love playing the turtle strategy. If you can get walls, towers, and a good army up and defending your villagers so they continue working without threat of attack is the best way to keep resources coming in. Then if you build more walls, towers in key strategic positions. Then put a market and a town center as far away from each other as you are willing to stretch your lines, you can gather a lot of gold with just 10 merchants units.

Re: Favorite Strategies or Tactics in Age of Empires Online

I won a 2vs2 battle as a level 10 against a level9 and 10 after my ally had been killed within about 8 minutes of the game starting or so. I had rushed to get walls up and a good amount of spearmen and after getting to the next age had towers in built. My level 9 enemy built a forward base on the remains of my former allies base and was trying to keep the pressure on me. I however made him come to me and used my towers, archers and hoplites to beat him back.

I also like turtle strategy and I eliminated the enemy's forward base and began a slow march towards the level 9's town center (I was sending reinforcements to them and also repairing so towers/walls). Soon enough I beat this enemy and also beat back the troops the level 10 sent. I then began the final push and beat the level 10 who had suffered a lot of causalities trying to save his ally. While the Turtle Strategy is very effective, it only works when you give yourself time. If your enemy rushes you and your villagers are not gathering for more than 3 minutes or so, you are almost doomed. I personally never rush any opponent.

I myself have tried this lot and seriously, it works. Unless they get to many siege weapons personally I've done it with priests and ranged units so far, but beware, a good siege with enough force, would make a terrible destruction upon this strategy! But most likely this is going to work if your opponent is willing to attack you. Been in many maps where you can attack from all sides which is basically a tough situation but as the saying goes. A good defense is a good offense.

It works if he attacks in a horrible position, but as i said earlier what happens when he doesn’t attack? You get so far behind it isn’t even funny. When I was level 20 or so people always this and i just, didn’t attack until i maxed on thick unit compositions like hops + ballista +ram, those games weren’t even close but certainly long. I mean if i see someone invest all their money in defense I am not attacking why I would. I'll just get a massive economic lead and crush your turtling ass later.