Thread: Steam recognizes it as Windows XP compatibility mode on my Vista

Steam recognizes it as Windows XP compatibility mode on my Vista

I am having Windows Vista in my desktop and also I have installed steam. I have never changed any of the settings in the steam recently. The only thing I made is I had created a desktop shortcut for Bioshock in order to run it in the compatibility mode and also with the dx9 command. However, for the next time when I launched Steam it says that it is been launched in the compatible mode and also said that it is the best idea that not to run on the compatible mode. Also now I am prevented to play the game GTA4 saying that i need Windows XP SP3. I have checked out all the files related to the .exe and there is no compatible mode checked for it.

Re: Steam recognizes it as Windows XP compatibility mode on my Vista

While creating a shortcut for a Steam game, it is not that you are only creating a game shortcut but also it is creating a shortcut to the Steam.exe which is along the command line saying steam that it needs to launch the game. When you put the shortcut of the Steam in the compatible mode it also puts the Steam in the compatible mode. So you need to close the Steam and then unmark the compatibility mode in any of the Steam game shortcut. And see that when applying the settings of the compatible mode it does not affect the Steam.exe from the Steam folder. After saving all the changes restart your Steam.

You need to uninstall the Steam and then install it again. But removing Steam will also remove all the games that you have installed in it. So before uninstalling it make a copy for the games by copying the Steamapps folder. After uninstalling and reinstalling Steam, now you can copy and paste the apps folder back to the Steam. I hope this will surely solve your issue, but while uninstalling remove all the files and registry about the Steam.

You can get a look at the registry entry of the steam:
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    You can also see that Steam.exe must be listed over there. If you remove the steam.exe files from there then it may solve your problem. But if you are under the Administrator then check for the
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    in case of admin.

You can also disable the program compatible assistant in windows Vista and in windows7 if you are getting multiple compatibility pop-ups.

• First you need to open the services.msc from RUN.
    • Scroll it down and there you will find Program Compatibility Assistant Service
    • Right click on it and then select STOP after this you need to reboot your system.
    • If you are getting multiple reboots then you need to disable it completely.
    • To do that you need to enter gpedit.msc from the RUN.
    • After that you need to go to the User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Application Compatibility. After getting over there you need to double-click on the Turn off Compatibility Assistant.
    • After that click on the Enabled and just apply it and press OK.

I had also encountered the same issue and was not able to play any of my games. It always prompted me to check for the compatible mode. At last the solution I found was that, I need to delete some registry entries to do that all I have to do is to open RUN and then type regedit. But this really did work for me. Don’t know why Microsoft puts lots of load and forcing to check for the compatible mode again and again.