Thread: The elder Scrolls: Who else thinks CHIM is silly?

The elder Scrolls: Who else thinks CHIM is silly?

I know most Lore people worship the idea of CHIM and seem to love dropping it as a buzz word just for the sake of it, but honestly, am I the only one who finds the whole concept behind it ridiculous? I mean, if you're able to manipulate the world and do whatever you want, then why didnt Vivec just make Dagoth Ur in Morrowind disappear, and make himself ruler of Mundus? Instead, he sat alone in his Palace waiting for the Nerevarine to come along and do something because Vivec, even though he supposedly had CHIM, could do bugger-all. Am I the only one who thinks this way about CHIM and by extension, most of the other 'weird and ridiculous' parts of TES?

Re: The elder Scrolls: Who else thinks CHIM is silly?

IMO, seeing as Nerevarine was Ruling King during the Morrowind MQ, I feel Vehk couldn't do anything. Either that, or Vehk couldn't do anything because of Prophecy. And since we're on the subject of uber save-alls and whatnot, why wouldn't Vivec or Talos, who also had CHIM, just create some sort of magnificent artifice that protected everyone in Morrowind from any sort of threat at all? Better yet, why didn't he just transport Morrowind to Aetherius. Because the idea of CHIM is a sort of contentment with life mixed with a bit of divine salvation as well.

I didn't mind Vivec's CHIM that much. I too have often wondered why he has been relatively incapable of providing any divine intervention for his people. I was more surprised that the Tribunal could not successfully raid Red Mountain. I understood that maintaining the Ghostfence drained them of strength, but all in all, if they proceeded more carefully, it wouldn't have been that difficult. I hope that this help you out of the confusion.

Apparently you need to pay more attention to what you read. Vivec didn't have CHIM during Morrowind, so naturally he couldn't use those powers against Ur. You also apparently don't understand CHIM, despite your thinking it ridiculous (or perhaps you think it ridiculous because you don't understand it). Becoming ruler of Mundus is pittance to having CHIM, its like asking why God doesn't use his power to become the Mayor of New York. If you want still another reason why he wouldn't exercise power, read and compare the state of the Daedra to one with CHIM, controlling everything is boring.

Although, I find a lot of the weirder aspects of the Elder Scrolls lore pretty silly, so I just ignore them, and pretend that Nirn is a spinning ball of rock floating in a massive space, circling around a giant ball of plasma, which is the same as the other balls of plasma that are the stars, except it's closer to Nirn, and anyone in the lore who claims otherwise just lacks the scientific knowledge to comprehend this, which is just what it sounds like.

I don't see too much a point to taking the time to learn anything about a fictional world if we feel we have to cut out everything that separates it from the real world. It defeats the entire purpose in the lore itself: to create its own, distinct world that, while it has traces of familiarity from our own, is unique. A planet being an infinite plane of a god, made to look that way due to the fact mortals can't take the real thing, is a lot more unique than nine big chunks of rock floating around a ball of plasma.

CHIM is another part of the lore in that it is something that some characters believe in. That someone in the world believes it is true is beyond dispute, and that Vivec believes he has it is pretty well certain. Whether or not it actually is anything more than a delusion on the part of someone who had far exceeded his natural lifespan by leeching the power of a god's disembodied heart is something else again. A lot of folk here will say yes, a significant minority say no, and I say "I'm too busy proving that Pelinal's sword-theory is right by sticking every filthy elf I see to give a damn about your god-speak.Same thing with retroactive godhood.