Thread: The Elder scrolls: Is the Empire falling apart?

The Elder scrolls: Is the Empire falling apart?

There are groups in every province who don't pay any attention to it, and it can no longer enforce them. Some of them are quite influential. The entirety of Summerset Isle and Black Marsh do not allow the empire to make decisions for them, and the empire there is almost non-existant. It's the same with most of Morrowind, the whole of northern Skyrim, and large areas of High Rock, Hammerfell, and Elsweyr. Even in Cyrodiil, it seems that some lands are controlled by the Renrijra Krin.

Re: The Elder scrolls: Is the Empire falling apart?

Well, falling apart may be an over-or-under-statement (We Won't have the clearest picture until TES:V) But the Empire certainly isn't in good shape, as most likely roads have been destroyed, cities lost, and resource production has most likely been curtailed across the board. WHat will happen to the Empire depends largely on how the populace acts in the aftermath of the oblivion crisis. I.E. A new sense of unity could bring prosperity to the ravaged continent, or they could plummet into a dark age.

Of course, those groups have always existed. But now the empire cannot hold them back. So, yes, it is falling apart. We saw that a Telvanni managed to begin an actual rebellion in Mehrunes Razor, even whilst Morrowind is fighting a civil war, and we see the lack of military forces the empire has as they do nothing about the Renrijra Krin - Leyawiin is said to stand alone. Also, as gallowglass said, the Empire has been steadily losing its power over the provinces, so there’s a possibility for outright war among the provinces, but it really depends on how people act post-oblivion crisis.

I would say so. Personally, I think the empire has rotted from within. Take a look at the situation in Vvardenfell. The Great Houses, along with a few Imperial organizations, control the little arable land that exists. Raiders, bandits, and monsters are relegated to the more dry and inhospitable areas of the island: The Ashlands, Molag Amur. Even the bandit caves lie along the road away from good arable land. And the books that talk about Imperial involvement in the East speak of it as a drain upon their resources, driven more by the personal avarice of the powerful than the good of the Empire.

Look at Cyrodil in comparison. Settlement is sparse, and heavily interspersed with goblins, bandits, and marauders. The countryside is dominated by ruined forts, long since abandoned by the Empire but hosting healthy populations of outlaws. Goblins prey upon farmers no more than a day's ride scaled up from the game model from the walls of the great towns Chorrel in particular, and mines are constantly infested by the little buggers. Actually clearing those out fighters guild quest, Cheydinhal is the exception, not the rule.

My guess is that the heavy taxes necessary to keep the empire running are slowly destroying the communities that form its base. As people find it harder and harder to live in a law-abiding fashion, they drop out of civilization, gathering in the remote places to find strength in numbers against rapacious tax collectors. And as this process goes on, remote areas become progressively more numerous and closer to the official centers of Imperial civilization. And not only do human outlaws gather in these places, so do goblins. With the strength of Cyrodil perpetually abroad, little can be done about it and little could be done anyway due to the atrocious economic policy that leads to the problem in the first place.

I have found nothing about that group except a short text that said who they are and what they want but not how powerful they are and a small passage in the Pocket Guide to the Empire that didn't reveal any relevant information either. From which sources did you get your information I mean, it doesn't sound as if you just made that up, but I can't find anything on the Imperial Library.To Nero Severus - Actually, I think every good tale set in the TES world should have a thief as a main character. And with thief I mean thief in the way it's used in TES.