Thread: The elder scrolls: Chimer and Azura

The elder scrolls: Chimer and Azura

Well I always wondered about the Chimer, how can they mean changed ones, you would say that they got their race names before they became Dunmer, but when they were still Chimer they hadn't changed into Dunmer yet, so why call the changed ones? Also, isn't it a bit strange that Azura appears as a dunmer in Morrowind while she hates dunmer? I hope that there is somebody who will help me out of this case and also will solve my confusion.

Re: The elder scrolls: Chimer and Azura

I don't think Azura really hates the dunmer, maybe the Tribunal for breaking their oaths, but then she did curse the entire Chimer race for it. The Chimer name fits with the convention while the Velothi is the name they used. Much the difference between Altmer and High Elf or Dunmer and Dark Elf, although a bit less of a direct translation. Who said she hated the Dunmer? The only race she supposedly hated, according to such sources as the story "Azura and the Box" and Battle of Red Mountain accounts, was the Dwemer. I don't know if there is any definitive source that says she hates the Dunmer, as they still revere her as anticipation in the Tribunal church.

Azura doesn't hate the Dunmer. She seems to have, or have had, a vested interest in the success of themselves or their land - they were the most likely to destroy the Dwemer and continue to worship the Daedra. As for why she appears as a Dunmer, it is the other way around. What better way to ensure your own significance than to make someone look as your brother and sister, especially as the Dunmeri looks are their distinguishing feature and that the family and ancestors are still two of the three most important things to every Dunmer, Ashlander, settled people, and Velothi alike.

I would say Azura does not hate that dunmer. I would say she still likes them, and wants them to like her again. That said, perhaps it is true she hates the Tribunal, and she figured out that by using the Nerevarine like she did, the Tribunal would be stripped of their power. The Nerevarine, who was arguably her servant, had to sever the connection from the Heart to stop Dagoth, in so doing Azura was rid of her biggest enemies and was made a hero to the Dunmer all in one move.

Azura would be very good as a politician. She is, in a sense. She laid the foundations for the Nerevarine prophecies, ensuring that they would not be forgotten and that she would retain some influence by making the Chimer look like her and thus, in the typical Chimeri way, have a sort of kinship with her. Now she's built upon those foundations by defeating Dagoth Ur and the Tribunal. If there hadn't been a civil war and King Helseth hadn't been quick to take more power after the Tribunal no longer bothered it would be the effective spiritual leader of Morrowind.

It won't be too long before they realize. People may already know that Vivec is missing. And Helseth's increased power and the lack of intervention in the civil war will make people suspicious enough to wonder where the Tribunal are. They banned public House wars, remember? Now there's a war every House is fighting in and they've not said or done anything. And the Dunmer are too accustomed to having a god or goddess who leads personally to continue to follow the Tribunal when they realise. Remember that the Tribunal's continued power is the result of Dunmer traditionalism, not the cause. The only other gods or goddesses that appear to have personal interest in their followers are the Daedra