Thread: The Elder Scrolls: Silt Strider Origins

The Elder Scrolls: Silt Strider Origins

Greetings. I am curious to find if at all possible others' opinions on something that came up in discussion recently. While overlooking a Silt Strider, it came to my attention that I don't think I've ever encountered a wild one, and everyone I've spoken to has pointed out that only the more civilized cities seem to have access to them, and certainly not the Ashlanders, who would enjoy a boon from having such a large source of manual labor.

Re: The Elder Scrolls: Silt Strider Origins

Stilt strider corpses lacking in the special cavity with exposed nerves of the domestic ones can be found throughout the ashlannds. Heck I think of the ashlander tribes has a stilt strider corpse in the middle of its camp. iTs quite possible that those insects have long been domesticated, with wild ones being hunted by ashlanders to extinction. as to your second paragraph, I do not believe it would be possible to breed a netch so much that it loses its sack, gets a completely new shell, and has its tentacles adapt themselves into long segmented legs. It would take quite some time to make those changes and would take far too long for the dunmer to consider it feasible. They've probably just been domesticated for a while.

Unless over the past several thousand years, the domestication was an unintended side effect. Ergo they were attempting to breed netches for one thing, and over time it was realized they could be used for transport. It's all grounded in an attempt I think to find out why exactly they're so common in civilization, so resembling netches, and so impossible to find in the wild. Therefore it was proposed is it possible that "silt strider" is simply the term for a domesticated form of netch that has been bred down with the purpose of acting as a form of cargo transport? And therefore we don't see them in the wild, because they require a special degree of Dunmer breeding.

Enquiring about potential common ancestry in two beings that share some physical resemblances is not something so remarkably out of whack as to warrant astonishment in your part. If you disagree or feel that it is unfounded, a simple statement therein is fine, but the proposition that there's a possibility of common ancestry is not something so out of whack as to merit the level of "astonishment" that you appear to feel.

I am more astonished that you even care for something so irrelevant. Then again, people haven't asked what kind of grandma underwear would Barenziah wear. It's not a feeling. You have nothing substantial from any text or in game except based on physical resemblances. Have you heard of convergent evolution? Structures of two organisms from radically different lineages are similar. But, even that statement lacks any evidence from in-game that convergent evolution happened. Simply, not having any relationships mentioned is I don't know irrelevant.

Something which is domesticated does not evolve cross phylum. The dogs of today are very little different from modern wolves, and we have domesticated dogs for millenia so don't assume then a jellyfish can do what dog has not accomplished in less time, and cross into a totally different animal through domestication. You are annoying for being little more than a fool tossing convergent evolution around as if it the argument against jellies turning into fleas. It is not done in domestication period That is the argument at hand, and thanks to you there will be more confusion in the matter where there would not have otherwise been.

His goals are somewhat good free his people an such, but his methods for achieving them are far down on the dark side - sneaking into people's dreams to warp their mind, spread corpus to warp their bodies, make an encore of the dwemer's sin; planning an orgy of bloodeshed to remove all that doesn't find unde his boot, none of this can be called good by any stretch of imagination. Goodness isn't only in your goals, but also in the path you're using to reach them.In general we consider killing evil. If I were to walk up to a man and shoot him in the head that would be an act of evil. However, if public opinion were to change, such as in war, then it would be an act of good. So gunning someone down in everyday life in the middle of the street is evil, but a soldier gunning down an enemy soldier in identical circumstances in the middle of wartime would be good, even honorable.