Thread: Haskill in the Elder Scrolls

Haskill in the Elder Scrolls

Hello guys I am playing the Elder Scrolls game from last 2 days. And I am having one question against it. Could someone please explain to me the nature of Haskill? Is he just a normal mortal, or is he something else? Also, he also appears to be quite normal, and not at all insane. I think I've seen the opinion that he could be sheo himself, but I don't really buy that one. Seems similar to something like demora to me, he is summon able and all.

Re: Haskill in the Elder Scrolls

The player character is the real Sheogorath now!,Jyggalag was the first sheogorath Haskill is just a mortal who obviously pleased the original sheogorath so he kept his as his personal assistant. I don't buy the 'Sheo is Haskill' thing. If that's the case, what about Dyus? I think it's more likely that the Princes enjoy mortals so much, that they've made some of their own to pass the time. I know Azura is like that. And even if the mortals want to leave, she won't let them. Hopefully Sul will be able to smack that petty prince a bit.

Indeed. It all falls into place. Jyggie was the evil Onceler who wanted to chop down the Truffula tree which is Sheogorath, but Haskill the Lorax helped the little boy learn the lesson of unless - which might cause redemption in the end. I think he is a part of sheogorath, no one else sees him or interacts with him, (I think). Or he is the real sheo, pretending to be a sane old breton to lead you down the golden road. Mortals that Sheogorath fancies are brought directly into the isles, without needing to bother with the Gatekeeper. It's the people who wander in by accident, or who aren't deemed sufficiently mad who have to deal with him.

Madness is not just "being random and crazy." Those that are considered mad generally possess a kind of internal self-consistency, something that always aligns with some kind of reason within them, even though it does not align with reason without. Haskill is that: he is the voice of self-consistency within Sheogorath's fits of delusion. He is what makes us believe Sheogorath is truly mad rather than just trying really hard to be different. Without Haskill, one would be able to dismiss the crazy goings-on without as delusion. With him, and his very convincing saneness, you buy into the Madness.

That's the traditional view, but it's not that supported in SI. Sheogorath is but the name for one who rules the Isles, empowered by the Tree of Madness. But something must have happened to the realm; even when Sheogorath becomes Jyggalag, the realm doesn't change. Obelisks activate, and the forces of Order progress, but for the most part, the realm stays the same so long as the forces of Order are held back. I think the Tree is the one in control; its roots spread across the Isles, creating the duality of Mania and Dementia.

I like the idea that Haskill is Sheogorath, and the PC and the previous "Sheo" (the Scottish one) were just the most powerful mortals that he managed to delude into thinking they were actually Sheogorath. It even explains the constantly shifting voices of Sheogorath throughout the years as well - different mortals driven insane enough to believe themselves Sheogorath. And, after all, what sounds crazier: a crazy guy being the Prince of Madness, or a seemingly sane guy being the Prince of Madness. Plus, Haskill can't even be touched by anyone in the Isles.

The Prince is a personification of his/her sphere/concept, so it makes sense if they reflect the characteristics of their sphere. Read the Accords of Madness for instance, Haskill doesn't have the necessary character traits to pull off what Sheogorath did in those stories. Basically what it comes down to is that these Princes (knowing their own characteristics) would retain the services of heralds who would be completely free of the kind of inclinations they're susceptible to.