Thread: The Dark Brotherhood and Mephala in the Elder Scrolls

The Dark Brotherhood and Mephala in the Elder Scrolls

I know that the Dark Brotherhood worships the Night Mother and Sithis, but do they have any connection to Mephala? She has spheres of sex and secret murder (I think), so I was just assuming that the Dark Brotherhood might have some connection with her. In morrowind, the dark brotherhood still reveres mephala, since they had a large number of the sanguine threads of the webspinner. In oblivion they became hokey from all of the sithis stuff.

Re: The Dark Brotherhood and Mephala in the Elder Scrolls

I think it’s Simple. Cyrodil's further from their origin. The Morrowind DB is more true to the original beliefs, possibly. Also, Morrowind, as a whole, has more reverence for Mephala, either through Ashlander ancestor worship or Almsivi anticipations of Vivec, than the Cyrodilians. Perhaps it's just Cyrodil where the worship of Mephala takes a backseat in the DB. It would make sense considering the Morag Tong's assassination of the Akaviri Potentate is what resulted in the schism in the first place.

They had a shrine to him in Deepscorn Hollow and Greywyn seemed to think that Sithis spoke to him. And Rowley always said goodbye by saying "Walk always in the Shadow of Sithis." Curiously, they never mentioned the Night Mother, only Sithis. But either way, I believe that at least one, the Morag Tong mentions executing writs in the name of the Night Mother. This seems to suggest that they refer to Mephala as such.

But for the Dark Brotherhood, it's a mess. First it seemed to refer to the grandmaster of the Dark Brotherhood, in Morrowind, as you had to kill the "Night Mother" who had supposedly come to Vvardenfell. And she was allied with Dagon cultists. But in Oblivion, she's portrayed as a figure of legend and has to share the worship with Sithis. I can see how they would use the Night Mother and Sithis though. The Empire would NEVER suspect the Dark Brotherhood to affiliated with Morag Tong, if they worship someone the MT would've had killed.

But doesn't everyone get angry at their little brother, when he steals their cookie. I'm just saying, it's possibility. Perhaps the Tong had gotten angry, and declared war, because the DB, their sister cult, had done something to anger them. And maybe the DB really does worship the NM and Sithis, but it is likely that they were first worshipers of Mephala, and just got so into their cover that they really started to worship NM and Sithis.

That seems to be a mistake of the author. From the context it should have said "The Dark Brotherhood continues, as we know, to worship Sithis." as the first paragraph discusses the Morag Tong, the Second the Dark Brotherhood. The following lines in the second paragraph also discuss how the Dark Brotherhood is actually is a religious organization worshiping Sithis despite not being considered as such. As a counter point to his own idea that they gave up her worship, but that seems to be a bit out of place.

Forgive me if I seem harsh, but your argument doesn't pan out because you forgot something very important. The Dark Brotherhood itself is frowned upon. In fact, their existence breaks the laws of the Empire. They're supposed to be hunted and brought to justice. Why would they give a [censored] about what the Empire thinks about them worhsipping Mephala when worshipping someone else wouldn't make a darn bit of difference? The only reason there are differences in Morrowind and Oblivion is because the dev team didn't do a good job panning out the DB in Oblivion. That's it. Plain and simple.