Thread: Moth Priest in The elder scrolls

Moth Priest in The elder scrolls

I have a feeling this is a relatively simple question, but why would the Moth priest want to reach Zero-Sum? To me that seems a bit insane, if not nonsensical. While I do know a decent bit about them, I haven't found anything yet that could directly answer my question. CHIM i could understand, but why Zero Sum? Is it just because they perceive this as the pinnacle of enlightenment? Are they like some people who loath existence I doubt it honestly?

Re: Moth Priest in The elder scrolls

Zeron-sum is the act of knowing everything, but losing your individuality. They see it as the pinnacle of enlightenment, because it is. Even in many cultures in RL, this is the ultimate goal. CHIM is rare, and widely unknown. You have to think that in the entirity of existance, two people have acheived CHIM (Vivec and Tiber Septim) and even a god failed. There has too some extreme arrogance involved to achieve CHIM.

The society considers willful individuality bad because individuals are self serving, and mostly self-sufficient. They consume resources that the society could be using, don’t require the society, and so don’t respect the society as greatly and can serve as a catalytic agent to make previously loyal members of the society defect and become individuals as well. Thus, they are 'Loose cannons', which society finds objectionable, because they can be a severe detrimental factor to the society. What one needs to consider, is that in the TES universe it could be possible for a strong society to actually be an entity of its own right.

Using the Dunmer and Orcs as examples, we can also see group collectivism has also done more harm than good horrible disfigurements due to the sins of three and an accident befalling one respectively. The apparent ultimate form of existence in TES seems to be the perfect balance of the self and the collective which I still say is physically impossible and thus I would assume TES writings reflect both a disdain for both pure individuality and pure collectivism, so I guess the point is really moot.

In a universe like the TES universe, an immortal society could mythically retain all its citizens inside itself, and safeguard them from true mortal death, through the collective memory of the society construct. Which is to say, instead of being distributed into the dreams leave and digested, the soul could be distributed among those still living inside the society a process which continues indefinitely. This would in turn, increase the lunar currency inside the system, and its members would be more mythopoeically potent than its non-members.