Thread: The Elder scrolls: what is the Orcish Mythology

The Elder scrolls: what is the Orcish Mythology

What do we know or think about the myths and world-views of the Orsimer? The only thing I can think of is that story of Trinimac and their creation. They were originally and ardent ones at that, as they tried to oppose the Velothi exodus - but considering their transformation into barbaric pariah-folk, I don't think that Aldmeri ideologies would remain a part of their culture to any large degree. At first I was thinking that perhaps we haven't seen much of their culture because they're uncivilized brutes and as such don't have much culture to see, but on further thought it seems that's not really a fair characterization of them. And even if they are barbarians, that shouldn't preclude the existence of a rich mythos and cosmology.

Re: The Elder scrolls: what is the Orcish Mythology

Being that their patron deity is the pseudo-Daedra-lord of exile and ostracism, I imagine that their culture and myths centers on a national victim complex with a heaping helping of "might is right" for flavor. That being said, you're right to assert that they really don't deserve to be called 'barbarians'. Goblins are Barbarians, having no detectable culture or life ways outside of mindless pillaging (I don't think those tribe totems had any religious significance and were simply the pride-born tokens of an overwrought breath taking contest.

Which is different from sculture. I'm sure goblins find their mythology perfectly adequate. Orsimeri culture has so far only been hinted at. However, the frequent comments about sophisticated metal-working- and the quality of Orcish products- would suggest a more complex society and material culture than the 'barbarian' label might lead us to think. Likewise, the Orcs have some kind of leader- these are not disparate tribes like the goblins, incapable of acting together. They have a sense of their own identity and possibly some kind of social hierarchy.

Somewhere in the Imperial Library, Dumac was linked to Trinimac somehow or other, and all the interlinking stuff made sense calling Dumac "dwarf-orc," though now it doesn't seem to make so much sense anymore and I forget the reason anyway (apart from Dumac being likened to Trinimac, but that could also be wrong). It might be in Wulfharth's various songs where it made sense to me, but don't quote me on it. This makes me want to figure out why he's called dwarf orc now and again.

In relation to your civilised comment one of the things I was trying to suggest in my earlier post was that the quantity and quality of metalwork produced by the Orsimer would be suggests that they are indeed 'civilised'- the only 'barbarian' Europeans who were not desperately short of metals relative to the Romans were the Dacians, who are something of a special case. Being able to mine, process and work large amounts of iron ore requires a complex division of labor and some technological sophistication, not to mention an economy hierarchy capable of sustaining such activity.

The Camaron throne is somewhere in the highest branches, as are numerous other natural dwellings. Wood Elves climb about its surface like termites, or carefully swing from level to level by means of thorny vines. Humans have generally been too unsettled by the city to stay there long, though Great Apes and Orcs are common. The Thalmor has decided to change the capital of Vale wood from Falinesti to Elden Root for the duration of the Aldmeri Dominion."