Thread: What is the importance of blood in the Elder Scrolls

What is the importance of blood in the Elder Scrolls

Do vampires physically need blood or is more of psychological need? Its just been eating away at me why vampires need blood . What's with all the vampire recently? It's both physical and phychological. But mostly physical. They can't produce it themselves, so they eventually run out and become mindless beasts. they don't die from blood loss because they are immortal. However, White Wolf's vampires can't use their vampire powers without blood, while Oblivion's vampires lose their powers when they drink blood.

Re: What is the importance of blood in the Elder Scrolls

No they don't. They go weak too. See Hassildor's wife, she's in coma. The player thing is due to game play reasons, I bet they got scared of l33t kidz getting whiney about "being vampire is so hard so they made it more social, less of a burden but more of a bore. Daggerfall vampires were best IMHO, true power and damn scary to boot. Interestingly, Lord Lovidicus has been sealed up in Crow haven for years, and he still was up and running. Although he had been driven mad by thirst for blood.

I got the impression that Rona Hassildor went to sleep voluntarily, precisely to avoid becoming a ravening blood-maddened monster like Lovidicus. Drinking the blood of mortals seems to tie the vampire more closely to the mortal world, to his or her own humanity which I guess makes sense in mythic/symbolic terms, while going without returns the vampire to its 'natural' state of being a hideous undead monster.

At the risk of making everyone groan and roll their eyes, this is actually pretty similar to White Wolf's portrayal of vampires: if you feed regularly, you can quite easily pass for a mortal by making your skin flush, remembering to blink occasionally, etc. but once you're 'empty', you run the risk of going into a frenzy and having the Beast take over. When the thirst grows so strong that it can no longer be satisfied without wholesale slaughter and consequent losing of one's humanity to the Beast permanently, a vampire can enter 'torpor' i.e. go to sleep for a few decades to let the cravings die down a bit.

To the less blood, stronger vampire point: lore as I recall it holds that Calvicus Vile made modified the Cyrodiil vampire breeds, giving them their particular talent for blending in. If this "gift" is like most of Vile's "gifts," it would have a drawback, perhaps weakening the vampire. A vampire who wanted to utilize the true range of his or her abilities, then, would be forced to endure the agony of blood starvation and inability to blend in with mankind: nothing without a price. Whatever the case, it's not universal, as has been established. Personally, I think that the count's wife's wasting was largely psychological.