Thread: The elder scrolls: What are the different characters in daggerfall?

The elder scrolls: What are the different characters in daggerfall?

Hi friends I have recently started playing the elder scrolls and now I am willing to know the characters in the daggerfall stage. How is the character creation like in comparison to Morrowind and Oblvions. Examples of your characters and how you did it will be appreciated. Overall, the Daggerfall character creation process if far more advanced than anything in Morrowind or Oblivion, but can produce some awesome characters for your individual play-style. Best character-creation I have used since the days of the text-based MUDs.

Re: The elder scrolls: What are the different characters in daggerfall?

The creation in Daggerfall is much better than in Morrowind and Oblivion, in my opinion. You have four sets of skills in the order of "primary", "major", "minor", and "misc". This allows your character much more control over the skills setup than in the newer games. It also seems like there are more faces to choose from, but these are 2D images, not the complex 3D models used in the newer games. On top of that, there's the questionnaire that adds points to specific skills and generates a character background automatically, which is pretty good. What's more, is that you can edit your player's special advantages, disadvantages, forbidden materials, forbidden armor types, bonuses, and almost anything else you can imagine. Finally, you get to roll and reroll your attributes until you get them to a satisfactory level.

I always enjoy making characters who are severely gimped. Their flaws make them more interesting. Succeeding as an underdog is always more fun than succeeding as a super-powered god character. I like that the gifts and curses can be mixed and matched so well in DF. The birth signs they were replaced with are just pathetic. And being able to alter your starting attributes is wonderful. It's not like every dark elf is the same, which MW and OB seem to think.

I should say that yes, it could be completed. It would be difficult to reach the minimum level requirements to start some of the quests, as you would need to improve your language skills, but provided you do a lot of dungeon delving, you could probably get your miscellaneous combat and magic skills high enough for you to do some main questing. Actually, thinking about it, it might even be easier, in a way, since you will be of a lower level than an ordinary player, and thus you will be less likely to run into, say, an Ancient Vampire.

I believe that you could win as a linguist easily. On m first run through the game, back in 1995 or 1996, I got to where I would go into dungeons and some types of monsters would just stand there! At the time I didn't grasp the concept of the languages and my player "convincing" them not to attack, but that was amusing. I'd walk up to a centaur who would stand there and make noises, but never attack. I originally thought it was a bug preventing monsters from fighting, to be honest. With that in mind, a linguist with the ability to keep a majority of the monsters from fighting him could fly through some areas without ever raising a hand.

It sounds like you don't understand how the languages work in DF. In this game, let's assume you come across a dragon. Your dragonish skill automatically attempts to reason with the dragon and if succeeds, the dragon won't attack you. So this whole theory of combat gets flushed. If all of your major skills are lingual, and you work on them in a safe manner and keep your primary attributes up, you won't have to do combat except in rare cases where running is generally an option. One thing to note however, is that there is no skill to communicate with rats and spiders. I have had these creatures not attack before, but I am unsure as to why. You would need a way of dealing with creatures incapable of reasoning, or find a way around them until you get high enough so that they won't spawn.